Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
OTA Signal affected when plug in USB chargers

While using OTA only, some TV channels are affected when using a USB charger. Specifically noticed on the rear TV when using either bedside USB plugs as a phone charger. The booster is on and using the fixed antenna that is current on 2016's. This was noticed on the front TV as well, but not verified.

Is the interference caused on the 12 volt circuit? or another cause?
Old 02-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
There are a lot of variables here that could be responsible.

Are you drawing the AC power from shore power or via the inverter. If it's from the inverter, does it happen on shore power as well?

Does it happen on a channel with a strong signal or weak? With digital stations, there's no ghosting etc. When the signal is borderline it can fall off the cliff and get back up with slight changes in wind, movement, etc.

Can you try a different coax between the wall and tv?
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hey NWGetaways,

We are on shore power.

Don't know about weak signal. I don't have a signal meter with me.

Some other digital channels are weak and go in and out depending on weather or, being in the landing flight path, affected by over head planes.

I didn't think of running a hop, but I can't get to the roof antenna coax right now.

I was just wondering why the signal is affected by plugging into a USB.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
A lot of tvs have a signal strength screen in their Settings menu. And I was suggesting just changing the coax that connects to the tv from the wall in case it's less than stellar.

It does sound like weak signal could be all that's going on. When a digital station is right on the edge of that cliff even a body moving in the room can cause it to drop.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Radio Frequency (RF) interference is a pain in the butt. RF noise can be picked up by the TV over the power line or over the air. This could be caused by a faulty USB jack in the Airstream generating noise over the power wire or over-the-air. Maybe try plugging into a different USB jack in another part of the Airstream. Also, try charging the phone using a 120 VAC adapter just to make sure it is not the phone (keep the phone in the same general location if possible).

A poor or missing shield connection on the antenna cable anywhere within the Airstream will allow over-the-air RF noise to get into the TV. I think that this the most probable. Check all connections you can and as suggested by NWgetaways, swap out the coax cable between the TV and the wall outlet if possible.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
I did move the phone to 120 adaptor and had in the same place and no interference. I did try the USB and same phone on the other side of the bed with no interference.

I can try the coax between the TV and wall outlet later and check all connections possible.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have the same problem but with my wifiranger.
It's a combination of being in a low signal/fringe area, and the high output of the WFR right under the batwing.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote