Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Original Fan 12 volt???

I am in the middle of rewiring a 64 Globetrotter. I am wondering if the original fan was 12 volt or 110 or 18 volt. My new distribution panel has 12 volt and 110. I am assuming I wire the original fan to 12 volt, but was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what size fuse etc. or any info. regarding this. I am not even sure if the fan operates and even wanted to test it. Any help?
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Hey!! I was wondering what happened to your progress. Haven't heard from you in awhile. Why don't you take the fan and wire it to your 12 volt battery to see if it works. I still have my old fan in a box in my shed. I replaced my vents and fans with new. They allow the light in and make the place inside look much better.

Brian
Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Al, now would be a good time to start standardizing your low voltage sytem. The originals could be either 12 or 18 volts, but if you replace with a 12 volt fan, you can eliminate the rather complex dual-power Univolt, and go with a straight 12 volt model of your choice. A low draw motor would only need about a 4 amp fuse.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64TrotterAtl View Post
I am in the middle of rewiring a 64 Globetrotter. I am wondering if the original fan was 12 volt or 110 or 18 volt. My new distribution panel has 12 volt and 110. I am assuming I wire the original fan to 12 volt, but was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what size fuse etc. or any info. regarding this. I am not even sure if the fan operates and even wanted to test it. Any help?
Your trailer uses the same 12 volt fan motor that has been used for over 30 years.

The confusion comes from running a 12 volt DC motor, on AC.

When you want to do that then the 18 volts AC of course are required.

You can easily upgrade the system to use a Univolt. When you make that change, then everything runs off of 12 volts DC, except an AC.

Eliminating that big gray transformer takes less than 2 hours, for the conversion.

The only other part you would need is a 12 volt fuse distribution panel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Here is what I have

So I have a WF-9855 55am Three stage power supply, a WFCO 8930/50 AC/DC Distribution Panel. I have the old fan in the ceiling. With power going to the panel (AC and DC sides) will the old fan work and what size fuze. I am on a tight budget these days and need to not purchase a new fan if at all possible. Sometimes I get a little confused by all of the discussion on this forum. I want to keep this conversation real simple. Yes or No with some details. You know what I mean?

Andrew
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64TrotterAtl View Post
So I have a WF-9855 55am Three stage power supply, a WFCO 8930/50 AC/DC Distribution Panel. I have the old fan in the ceiling. With power going to the panel (AC and DC sides) will the old fan work and what size fuze. I am on a tight budget these days and need to not purchase a new fan if at all possible. Sometimes I get a little confused by all of the discussion on this forum. I want to keep this conversation real simple. Yes or No with some details. You know what I mean?

Andrew
Your ceiling fan motor is 12 volts DC.

The original electrical setup in your 64, used 12 volts DC to power it, and when hooked to city power, 18 volts AC powered it.

The motor would run the same.

Now that you have converted the system, only 12 volts DC are fed to that fan motor.

You can't do any better than that.

Pop some pop corn, have a beer, watch a football game, and forget about the fan motor.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt