Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Unhappy Stay Safe

$0.02

I'm all for keeping your units original, "BUT". Always one of those around.
When it comes to safety I have to give in.
The two prong shore power connection was replaced with the grounded connection for a very good reason.
I would suggest that you all figure out a way to install a grounded shore power connection.
If you must have the original entry port, disconnect it. I would like to suggest that you then find a hidden spot for a modern, safe shore power connection.
If this is not possible maybe a machine shop could modify the old one to accept a 3 prong connector.
Good Luck and Stay Safe.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
Gary,

Can I use the original entry port to power my outside speakers? They're slightly smaller than a refirgerator.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Gary,

Can I use the original entry port to power my outside speakers? They're slightly smaller than a refirgerator.
Funny you should mention that, I just read in Live Sound Magizine about a speaker connector "J-Con" that uses an AC plug. Not a good idea is the just of that.
Make it for show not for go.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Kevin, I am interested in swithching mine to this setup. Is there an adapter that allows you to plug that cord into a regular 110 outlet on a generator? Would that plug in at an RV campground? I'm not only new to AS but all Rv connections.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Don,
No luck on the plugs. They were all sold out and didn't even know what I was talking about. I was hoping no one knew what they were and wouldn't have purchased them.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #20
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
I also ended up resorting to a marinco shore power plug on our '59 tradewind. The stainless steel model #303SSEL-B seemed to match the trailer better than the plastic one. It also saved the side of the trailer when I was backing through our narrow gate!
I stopped when I heard the sound of splintering wood even though my wife was saying I had plenty of room!!! With out that honkin' Marinco SS power inlet the rear corner of the trailer would have been toast! It works fine since the mishap.

Now we use walkies talkies or our cell phones when backing into our backyard!

A previous owner updated to a residential style panel with breakers.
Paul
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #21

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Harrisville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Seeing the recent discussions over electrical hook-ups, it dawned on me that our '55 has the original 2 prong cord (gauge unknown, maybe 12, I'm guessing 14). What do I have to do to make it safe in regards to grounding? Can I use an inline GFI on the cord? I think I will eventually end up upgrading the cord, but I have the original glass screw-in type fuses located all over the trailer. How do I address this? Suggestions? I want to play it safe on this.
The best tool for checking which wire is "hot" is called a non-contact tester. Home Depot sells them for not too much. It's a pen sized tool which clips into your shirt pocket. It will eliminate all of the guess work for you. When you depress the switch, it chirps loudly when the plastic probe gets close to your hot wire. I'm not sure if all testers work on 12 volt systems, but they can be a life saver when working with higher a/c voltages.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Gaylord , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Rollerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin'tater View Post
The best tool for checking which wire is "hot" is called a non-contact tester. Home Depot sells them for not too much. It's a pen sized tool which clips into your shirt pocket. It will eliminate all of the guess work for you. When you depress the switch, it chirps loudly when the plastic probe gets close to your hot wire. I'm not sure if all testers work on 12 volt systems, but they can be a life saver when working with higher a/c voltages.
A First post from a new Member !! Welcome to the forums Neighbor,Great to see You here !!