Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
One Battery Ok?

I know storing 26U even short term will drain batts and kill them.
But if storage has no shore power then options are limited.
I don't want to drag AS home every other week to charge batts.
Completely removing the batts would seem to be the logical choice.

But disconnected and reconnecting all the wires and hauling 2 batts would be a pain.
Would it work to just use one batt since almost always stay at campgrounds with power?
Small campers only have one, does my AS really need two if on shore power anyway?
Thx.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
I know storing 26U even short term will drain batts and kill them.
But if storage has no shore power then options are limited.
I don't want to drag AS home every other week to charge batts.
Completely removing the batts would seem to be the logical choice.

But disconnected and reconnecting all the wires and hauling 2 batts would be a pain.
Would it work to just use one batt since almost always stay at campgrounds with power?
Small campers only have one, does my AS really need two if on shore power anyway?
Thx.
If that is all you are using the battery for then by all means one battery would suffice. You could always install a battery quick disconnect plug and that way the install/uninstall would go a lot quicker and without having to deal with connecting the battery terminals each time.

If your camper is stored outdoors then personally I would install a solar panel and use it to charge the battery. Just one solar panel and a simple inexpensive charger would suffice for this.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
If that is all you are using the battery for then by all means one battery would suffice. You could always install a battery quick disconnect plug and that way the install/uninstall would go a lot quicker and without having to deal with connecting the battery terminals each time.

If your camper is stored outdoors then personally I would install a solar panel and use it to charge the battery. Just one solar panel and a simple inexpensive charger would suffice for this.

Thanks. Currently stored in covered storage with power, but considering moving to indoor with no power.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Just pull one of the (-) battery cables off the batteries when you're storing it without power. The self-discharge rate of flooded batteries isn't too terrible, a few percent per month, so it should be good for 3-6 months of storage w/ the batteries disconnected at normal temps. It's even easier if you install a switch instead of having to remove/reattach the cable every time, but it should be effective.

Make sure you don't have an odd setup, like some draw that attaches both its leads to one battery so there's still a circuit if you pull the (-) from the other battery.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
This problem has been discussed many times on these forums. Just install a battery disconnect switch. Spend an hour now and you won't have a problem. A fulley charged battery should be fine when fully disconnected. Check on your trailer ever other month and you would be fine.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have an inverter on your trailer (and you ever use it), going to one battery probably is not a good idea. There are some very easy to install battery disconnects ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote