Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Onan Retro fit

I am picking up a 26' Argosy in a week or so. Sight unseen (trust the seller).

Having no experience with Argosy is there a place to store a generator??

I have an older (but excellent Onan 4 KW) it is a heavy beast and lugging it around is not an option.

Any ideas how to mount it?? As a last resort I suppose I could mount it in the truck box and run a cord??
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I suspect that a retrofit would involve a lot of work and major mods to your new coach. If you can work out a truck bed mounting plan I think that may be your best bet. Congrats on the the Argosy by they way, I remember the excitement I had before picking up my Trade Wind. Make sure and post some pics for us when you get it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Mount it on the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
I
I have an older (but excellent Onan 4 KW) it is a heavy beast and lugging it around is not an option.

Any ideas how to mount it?? As a last resort I suppose I could mount it in the truck box and run a cord??
Mounting it on the truck is IMHO the way to go. Conserves tight space, less noise in the TT, eliminates all the weight and venilation considerations.

I keep my two Honda ei2000's on the truck and I like the versatility this gives me.

Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I just finished unloading one of those from my truck 15 min. ago. Mine came from a SOB camper my brother sold years ago as junk and pulled out the ONAN it has 41 hrs on it and it is heavy. I am generator rich right now as I live in New Orleans and everyone in the family are installing 16 and 20 KW whole house units and I am being given the old units.

My plans are to put it in a case on large wheels, I will use a boat tank (Quick Connects)to feed it fuel or may convert to propane as I have not read the entire specs yet so not sure on how I want to power it. I will install a 12 volt winch in the bed of my truck to pull it up a ramp for loading and unloading.

I has to have a case as the airflow has to be directed over the engine to cool. 4kw, 2 cyl and heavy.

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Realistically getting a Honda small feller probably makes
the most sense.

That Onan is extremely heavy. Plan B was to build a small
outbuilding and convert it to propane for outages here.

I like that wheel idea a lot.
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote