Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

2014 23' International
SLC , Utah
On road, and no power!

I left SLC last night to head to Southern Arizona, and upon stopping to refuel have found that I don't have any power aside from the two inverter plugs. The batteries are both fully charged, and exterior lights supplied by 7 pin all work, but nothing else. The light on the battery disconnect is absent as well. Any advise or input would be extremely appreciated!
Rjrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Start simple:

Have you placed the use/store switch in use?

If you have been on shore line, the convertor will power all the interior appliances and the indicator lamp will be on, even if the switch is in the store position.

Can you hear the solenoid click when you change the use/store switch?

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
So you were at a gas station and you didn't have 110? Maybe I'm confused but unless you were plugged into shore power everything was working as it should. If you were plugged into 110, check your fuses and breakers.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

2014 23' International
SLC , Utah
Battery disconnect switch is unresponsive, with no audible engagement with use of toggle button, and red light is absent. I checked breakers and fuses to no avail. I have not tried shore power since discovering issue. I was however able to turn on inverter and receive power from (only) inverter plugs. Batteries are both fully charged.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Try shore power next when you can. The Use/Store switch may be bad? It happens. When you flip it on and off, you should hear the relay click in response IMO, as JD said. "No audible" suggests relay is bad. Can you pull the switch and check voltage to it?

Search results "use/store switch bad":

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...bad&gsc.page=1

I would also check all of your battery cable connections, and ground wires to the chassis. A bad main ground maybe?

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I'm assuming that we are talking 12v for lights and radio,
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...er-153708.html

If you are looking for 120v, only the inverter supplied wall plugs are hot, power by 12v batteries.
If your other 120v don't work after you plug the shore power, check your GFI at the lavatory .
Old 01-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Had same problem, everything was dead.

Took to dealership in Mesa and Converter was shot!. Not a Happy camper.

Replace it with a 4- stage Boondocker for Best Converter.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #8

2014 23' International
SLC , Utah
At campground. Everything works connected to shore power. What does this suggest?
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Everything works at campground? Including your store use switch?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
On shore power, is the battery voltage reading about 13.8 volts? Then the converter may be OK IMO.

When convenient, unplug from shore power and wait an hour, without using a bunch of 12-volt things during the hour. Then check the battery voltage, which should be about 12.8 volts or so [liquid cell batteries right?]

While still off shore power, turn the Use/Store switch on and off and report on hearing the relay click. In "Store" mode are all the 12-volt functions off? In "Use" mode are all the 12-volt items working?

Did you check all the battery cable connections, and other things suggested in Post #5?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
OK...just so happens I had this exact problem not long ago.

Called Airstream and with tech help we located the problem.

They had me check batteries...they were ok. I had power to inverter just like you but not to store / use switch. No light...no clicks... nothing at store/use switch.

They had me pull store / use switch and check it. Easy 4 screws and out of wall. Switch tested ok using multimeter.

They had me connect trailer to 120 volt through power cord. Everything came on like normal. 12 volt all working and store / use switch power light is on.

Now for the fix...

They had me locate the 12 volt disconnect. It's mounted in a compartment with all the other electrical stuff. It looks like an old auto starter solenoid. It's round about 2" tall with a large 12 volt terminal on each side. They mount it to a vertical piece of wood.

There are two fuses mounted on top of the disconnect. Check these fuses. Mine were ok. What I did find was the wires going into the bottom of the disconnect just below these fuses were loose. I reconnected these and everything worked again. These are small wires and the connectors had vibrated loose. After I got the connectors back in good I taped the wires to the disconnect to make sure they didn't vibrate loose again. So far so good.

Your explanation of your problem fits what we had exactly to a tee. I'm almost sure this is your fix.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #12

2014 23' International
SLC , Utah
Strangely, upon prepping trailer to return home, everything works fine, even without shore power. Battery use/store seems to function, as well as everything I've tested so far. I'll have to check those wires to see if they might be loose.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjrad View Post
Strangely, upon prepping trailer to return home, everything works fine, even without shore power. Battery use/store seems to function, as well as everything I've tested so far. I'll have to check those wires to see if they might be loose.
Welcome to AirForums!

The battery disconnect switch is one of the most confusing and misunderstood items of your Airstream, especially for newbies!

Additional information about this switch, including when it is normal for the light on this switch to be off:

Battery Disconnect Switch issues

Battery Disconnect Switch, Solar, and AGMs
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I would check the wires cabinetmaker mentioned. I have found a number of poor wiring issues with my unit. Latest was a severed 110 wire to the water heater, since I bought it electric side never worked and I didn't realize it. Wire was severed at the factory and nobody ever checked it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote