Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
On board AC Inverter for Boondocking?

I'm looking at the space my old Univolt took up to place a series of batteries that would power my AC outlets. My boat was rigged with a 1750 watt invertor and would run the Microwave, toaster, TV and other small appliances-NOT at the same time! I believe I can use the new Iota charger that replaced the massive Univolt to charge the Inverter batteries as well as the RV main battery. The system would be switch wired and not be active when using shore power. I am sure someone in the group has done this-any comments?
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Don't really understand what you mean by "switch wired". If you mean the inverter output is a plug just like the 30a shorepower cord, so you can only use one or the other, then it sounds OK to me. Some on-board generators operate that way.

Otherwise, if you buy a Trace or similar inverter that has an onboard power transfer relay, that works ok also.

If you mean a make-break-make switch that feeds power to the main 120v panel from either the shore power line or the inverter, that should work also, although I think it might be inconvenient.

Otherwise you better make sure it's Poka-Yoke (idiot pruf) cause if you let thine magic smoke out of thine inverter thou will be out bookoo bucks.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
this is where I am headed...I hope.

My Sovereign has three AGM batteries. I just removed the huge, noisy Magnatek charger converter and replaced it with a silent three stage 55amp IOTA converter. The system is set, as originally, so that when 110 shore power is pulled, a transfer relay will automatically energize the inverter to provide 110v power. The IOTA is plugged into a service box which has a switch which will cut power to the IOTA if you want to.....for whatever reason. By the way, my inverter is a charger/inverter with DIP switches to disable the charger. I checked with IOTA today and they said that its perferable to disable the charger and let the IOTA do it all....but not necessary. They will compliment each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sovereign Inverter System 1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	92651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sovereign Inverter System 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	92652  

Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
2xS
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
San Diego , California
I just did all of that...

You can use any battery charger you want, but be sure to wire the charger on a separate circuit off of your main distribution box otherwise your inverter will end up powering your charger.

Then you'll need some type of multiple source relay transfer switch. The IOTA-30R should be plenty for your needs: http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/30rman.pdf

If your Univolt also acted as your circuit protection, you should also install a fuse block to protect your 12V devices. The Blue Seas 5025 would satisfy the requirements:
ST* Blade Fuse Block With Cover - 6 Circuit with Negative Bus - PN 5025 - Blue Sea Systems

The fun part will be fishing the wires where you need them...

Tags
boondocking, 120 volt, inverter