Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Old wiring puzzles - please help

These connections were not present or working when I got this trailer, and I can't figure out a couple of puzzles. This shows what looks to be the original box, but this does not look like the set-up in a '72 service manual, which showed only 2 circuits. There was a switch located in the bathroom cabinet wired (the short piece of Romex) into the first circuit wire which looks like it was added later. What is this circuit/switch?

Click image for larger version

Name:	breakerbox.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	217593

Also, while I was installing a new AC, I found some of those "Hmmm…" things. One was the complete absence of any insulation in the space between the old AC and the next cross-rib! I guess that's one way to justify installing air conditioning! The installer had also used just a single piece of 2" aluminum scrap under the front of the AC between the skins to clamp the unit to its ceiling frame. How it held out any water at all is a mystery. But there was also this mess of wire just stuffed into the space where there should have been insulation - what are these wires for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	messofwire.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	217594

Any help would be greatly appreciated -
Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Are those wires to the thermostat? Does your new a/c installation use a thermostat?
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
No thermostat in trailer or part of the old a/c assembly. This wire bundle comes out through the rib in front of the a/c and was in the empty space knotted up with bare spade connectors. I could see no clues to this from the manual's wiring diagram.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I have a 72 Overlander that had four circuits in it. I will take a pic and post tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Alan , those are thermo wires I have two thermos in my trailer one for heat and one for AC on the front wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Thanks, Dave. Where is your thermostat on the front wall? I'm guessing the PO used that spot for some mod of his own.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Alan, here is the schematic from my manual that I have. Air Conditioner Schematic

My trailer had a thermostat on the back bulkhead, curb side, next to the light for the heater and then another thermostat on the front bulkhead, street side, above the fridge. I have the RM60 fridge in mine so there is a quite a bit of space above it and so the wires are just hanging there with the thermostat still hanging on the wall. The PO of my trailer replaced the AC with a new Carrier unit and so I'm assuming my thermostat wires are also abandoned up next to the AC unit like yours.

The other AC wire by the panel could have been for some sort of transfer switch that was installed to switch over from an inverter to shore or Generator power? I can't quite see where it is wired into the panel from the photo. The other possibility was an electric water heater too...

Good luck and it all looks like it is coming along!

Ryan

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Thanks, both of you. There was no trace of the thermostat end of those wires in my trailer, but that makes sense. The switch in the bath closet controls the entire circuit of the first wire. (It will be clear when I finally get my electrical set-up finished. The company I ordered converter and battery from sent the wrong unit.) It amazes me how much variation there is between and within model years as to how such things as wiring were done.

Ryan, I'm glad you're getting to enjoy your Airstream. I can't imagine what that first trip will be like for us after all this time.

Thanks again,
Alan