Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Odd relay thing/ what is it?

OMRON IEC255 RELAY 10A 110VAC LY2

Inside my door on the fridge wall is a blank electrical wall plate. The above item is inside it. Does anyone know what it might be for? I think it has something to do with the television and digital converter box that is further up the wall. The PO has made some notes in the owners manual about a inverter box that is behind the fridge but have not been able to get up in there to see what is there.

The television is 110v only so it would need an inverter to work off of battery power. Currently it only operates when shore power is connected.

Picture of the relay is on my registry pics but cannot get it to post here.
Thanks
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Relays are used to turn power on of off remotely. This may have been part of the original setup of something different. Can't imagine why a relay would be behind the fridge unless the PO controlled it from another switch..

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Thanks.... I need to get in there for a closer look. Trying to avoid pulling the fridge out to do that. I am waiting to borrow a plumber friends sewer cam to take a look. Maybe PO used the fourth unused wall switch to switch the television from shore power to inverter power. I will have to try that.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
I am going to see if I can make-out the Wbcc number shadows on front or back and see if I can find POs in the directory and ask them what they did.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Well I figured out what it is. It is a relay to control the 12 power to a converter which powers the 110v television. The converter stores behind the fridge and it only gets power when then shore power is disconnected and the 4th previously unused switch is turned on.
I was able to install a lighted switch to be able to see if the converter is on. I have ordered LED lighted switches for water pump switches also. The rectangle LED switches seem to be harder to find, seems like most of the world thinks a LED rocker switch should be round.
Paradise Valley, Arizona