Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
O.K. I'm convinced

After staying at probably 50 to 75 different RV parks and reading multiple threads on surge guards. The scary advertisements from the Good Sam magazine, Camping World blurbs and finally a couple of articles in other RV magazine I bit the bullet and ordered a surge guard.

Went online last night, read reviews, checked prices and now waiting for the UPS man to bring me a model 34730 Surge Guard 120V 30A Portable RV surge protector. Ordered it from Adventure RV Net based of the sellers reviews and the fact that they had the lowest price ($219). Also bought a locking hasp, as much as I hate carrying one more lock I can see the value of locking the thing up when away from the trailer.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
Yep, I also splurged for a surge guard also this year. I have a late model Airstream and have heard lots of stories about AC units and Power converter/relays going south most believing because of bad power often found in RV parks.
Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I own an RV site where we keep our Airstream. We keep it plugged in to 30 amp all the time to keep the refrigerator running. We had a smaller surge protector (20 amp) that we had from our popup days. One week there was a lighting strike that fried out our 30 amp receptacle and the surge protector plugged into it. Our Airstream was plugged into the surge protector. We had no damage to the Airstream but I had to replace the 30 amp receptacle and the surge protector. I went with a 30 amp surge protector this time. That original surge protector saved me a lot of money and grief. I am a believer.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Yep, I even use mine when plugged into power at home, where my AS is stored.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I have also ordered and received the Surge Guard 30a unit. So far so good. But a couple of things to note about that unit. It says it has to be used in the vertical position because if it is flat it is not water proof. So if the power post outlet is low to the ground (less than 24"), the unit is laying down and therefore not water proof. Also, each time you plug it in, it has 128 second delay before supplying power to the trailer. When it is 100 degrees and you want to get the AC going, a minuet and a half is a long time.

I am looking into getting a waterproof box to put it in. Something else to carry around.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We have the Progressive Industries EMS PT30C and it has saved our bacon three times we know of for sure. A good investment considering the cost to repair electronics inside our AS.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitorj View Post
so, each time you plug it in, it has 128 second delay before supplying power to the trailer. When it is 100 degrees and you want to get the AC going, a minuet and a half is a long time.
2 minutes 8 seconds, but whose counting.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post

I believe Lilburn minutes are different from California minutes! I could be wrong but if they can add a second to the atomic clock... ijs

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
True. And when its 100 degrees out, it seems more like 10 minutes.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I think it's metric minutes.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
We have the Progressive Industries EMS PT30C and it has saved our bacon three times we know of for sure. A good investment considering the cost to repair electronics inside our AS.
X2....

Great features and first class customer service.

Bob
Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
LL2
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Spokane , Washington
is it possible to use the hardwire version on an AS?
LL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL2 View Post

Yes...ask Crawford Gene.

Bob
Old 07-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL2
Yes. I went with the EMS-HW30C. I had installed this in my previous SOB and then moved it to the Airstream after we bought it. You need to look at your layout to see how hard or easy it would be to install it. In my case there was an open cavity behind the converter/breaker box so it was not difficult. This particular model has a remote status display that can be located at a convenient location.

Basically, the surge protector goes in the power line between where the shore power cord enters the trailer and where it enters the breaker panel. If you have one of the newer trailers with the 2nd shore power port and a switch, the protector would have to go between the switch and the breaker panel. Some trailer layouts may not make this easy, so the portable version and a lock would be the better solution.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The hardwire version is best installed where it keeps fingers away from it. MH's have in some cases electrical cabinets where it can be safely installed.

I did install one in our 25' FB, but had to attach it on the side of the bed, below the mattress, next to the converter. The wiring is sort of exposed on this—a bad design no matter where it is installed. Although the hardwire version is cheaper, then you have to buy #10 AWG wire and other electrical parts, so you don't save much. I believe only the 50 amp version has the remote. Because I don't easily fit in the space next to the bed and had tools all over the floor taking up more limited space, it was hard to install it. But a lot of trailer maintenance requires small, double jointed people. You need some familiarity with electrical work to do this.

The advantage of installing it inside is that if something happens during a thunderstorm, I don't have to go out in the rain to check it out.

128 seconds seems long, but if you plug it in first thing, then by the time everything else is set up, the power will have been on for quite a while.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use the Surge Guard Model 34730 as well. It has interrupted our connection a couple of time when voltage was either too high or too low... worth the bucks unless you watch the voltmeter in your rig all the time. In both instances, it's been in parks that we've been in before and have never had a problem, so prior history with a specific park is not relevant. There is the ~2 minute delay at the surge protector for power to reach the rig...then there's another ~2 minute delay for the AC to start...so it's ~4 minutes before the AC goes on! A long wait when it's 100 degrees or better. One way to cut that wait down a few seconds is to plug the shore power line into the power post trailer before you connect the cord to the trailer...so the surge protector is doing it's thing while you are still hooking up.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
That should be "who's counting"..... but who's checking spelling?
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote