Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Not so smart afterall!

While waiting for delivery of our 25FC I've read & digested every bit of information that I could about Airstream Trailers. From this forum to youtube videos and the factory website information. Then this morning my wife asked me a very simple question, "does our Airstream have a 12v plug for my hairdryer when we're not hooked up". The self educated expert here was stumped. I don't know was my sorry answer. So I'll put that simple questions to readers of this forum, is their a 12v plug inside the Airstream?
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
It does have 12v plug, ours has two, but I've not seen a 12v hairdryer. That said when ordering your unit did you order an inverter? If so you can plug into one of the inverter plugs, clearly marked and use things like TV and I suspect a hairdryer, but they pull a lot of juice.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
It does have 12v plug, ours has two, but I've not seen a 12v hairdryer. That said when ordering your unit did you order an inverter? If so you can plug into one of the inverter plugs, clearly marked and use things like TV and I suspect a hairdryer, but they pull a lot of juice.
Thanks for that information. Yes, we have a 1000w inverter but most hairdryers pull more than a 1000w's. 12v hairdryers are sold online or at camping world.

Joe
TAC FL-47
Old 06-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Just a head's up!

Hi there,

If you are getting a new Airstream it might not come with a 12V plug. Our 2015 30' Serenity does not have any 12 v plugs. You might want to check with your dealer, and if it doesn't consider having one installed
Old 06-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Hi there,

If you are getting a new Airstream it might not come with a 12V plug. Our 2015 30' Serenity does not have any 12 v plugs. You might want to check with your dealer, and if it doesn't consider having one installed
That's interesting, both reply's from owners of 2015 30 ft Airstreams & one have no 12v plug & the other has two. Thanks for your reply, Joe
TAC FL-47
Old 06-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We do have 12 v plugs, we ordered our trailer.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We do have 12 v plugs, we ordered our trailer.
Mines not going on the build line until the 24th. Calling my dealer & get a 12v added. Thanks, again, Joe
TAC FL-47
Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Our 2015 25 foot rear twin Flying Cloud does NOT have a 12 volt power tap, while our 2012 Bambi did. AS seems to have substituted USB ports for 12 volt power.
StillRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I installed 12V receptacle's (aka Cigarette lighter outlets) at each corner of our trailer, right next to the LED spots under the cabinets.

The wiring to the LED lights is quite substantial, so you will have a hard time overloading the circuit and will most likely overload the 12V receptacle before the wires heat up. There are already wire nuts where the LED's tie into the circuit, but you will have to go up one size wire nut when adding the wire for the 12V receptacle. Removing the stereo speakers makes it easy to get to the wiring with the exception of the area under the radio, which is a bit more crowded.

I found high output 12V to 5V dual USB adapters that I plug in to the receptacle for charging phones or powering other 5V devices.

This setup give me more flexibility than if I installed a dedicated USB port, as Airstream is now doing. I found USB powered flexible shaft lights that put out less light than the stock corner LED spots, perfect for reading in bed when you have twins.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
To answer your wife's question, I conducted extensive research. I asked my wife. Although our AS has two 12v power outlets, 12v wasn't enough to run the little POS 12v blow dryer she got from Camping World. It ran down our battery quickly and didn't heat or blow enough to dry her hair. To solve her problem, I bought a 1000 watt Honda generator. It did a good job of keeping our battery charged when dry camping and provided the power she needed to run her hair dryer on the cold setting. But, that was still not a good solution for her. So, I upgraded to two 2000 watt Honda generators so that we can run our AC when dry camping. And now, she is able to run her blow dryer on the low heat setting with one of the generators running. She can run it on the high heat setting but the generator is running at full speed. Haven't tried it with both generators running but I suspect that's what it would take to run a blow dryer on high for any length of time. She once tripped a circuit breaker when she ran her blow dryer on high at the same time the AC was running (we were plugged into 110 power at the time). The lesson here is that blow dryers take a lot of power to operate. Installing 12v outlets or using an inverter probably won't deliver for you. You'll need a constant source of 110 power while the blow dryer is in operation. You'll need that from a power hookup or a generator.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Hello,

I took delivery of a new 25fb about a week ago. There is no DC plug anywhere. They have replaced them with USB charging plugs. In other threads I have found that to get one the best way is to tap into a light fixture and run the wire from there to where you want to install one. Sorry
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Pinson , Alabama
Quick answer to 12v hairdryer

Having been in same situation and married I've learned a few quick answers:

1. I didn't know you owned a 12v hairdryer Honey! It'll give u time to check!!

and answer 2, which now that I think of it should be answer 1

2. If it doesn't it will, Honey!!!!!

Ha!!
RosiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad518 View Post
To answer your wife's question, I conducted extensive research. I asked my wife. Although our AS has two 12v power outlets, 12v wasn't enough to run the little POS 12v blow dryer she got from Camping World. It ran down our battery quickly and didn't heat or blow enough to dry her hair. To solve her problem, I bought a 1000 watt Honda generator. It did a good job of keeping our battery charged when dry camping and provided the power she needed to run her hair dryer on the cold setting. But, that was still not a good solution for her. So, I upgraded to two 2000 watt Honda generators so that we can run our AC when dry camping. And now, she is able to run her blow dryer on the low heat setting with one of the generators running. She can run it on the high heat setting but the generator is running at full speed. Haven't tried it with both generators running but I suspect that's what it would take to run a blow dryer on high for any length of time. She once tripped a circuit breaker when she ran her blow dryer on high at the same time the AC was running (we were plugged into 110 power at the time). The lesson here is that blow dryers take a lot of power to operate. Installing 12v outlets or using an inverter probably won't deliver for you. You'll need a constant source of 110 power while the blow dryer is in operation. You'll need that from a power hookup or a generator.
I'm sorry but does anyone else see the humor in this where:

In order to boondock you need TWO generators so that you can run a hairdryer?

Maybe it would be easier to change the hair style?

Come to think of it, I recall having an argument with my, at the time, 15 year old daughter. She she was adamantly opposed to staying at a spectacular unserviced waterfront campsite on the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland.

"Why don't you want to stay here? It's the best campsite we've seen in 4 weeks!", says I.

"Because it has no power and I need to wash my hair.", says she.

Thankfully, she was out-voted by her slightly grubbier short-haired brothers and we stayed there sans hair wash.

We as a family still laugh about that incident; but it is camping after all...

Now if we could only figure out how to mount and power the hot tub on the roof of the Airstream, we'd have a complete resort on wheels!

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
The things we do for our wives!!!
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Think twice about taping a light fixture wire. I suspect the wire is way way too small

and ifa fuse does not blow the wire might melt.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
MicroFiber towels

Better trick - I got a bunch of blue microfiber towels for all sorts of Airstream cleaning, then one day the power went out during a bad storm just as I was getting out of the shower with my hair soaked.

I toweled off but my hair stayed damp, so I grabbed a clean microfiber work towel, and patted my head. The thing just sucked moisture out of my hair - so then I took two and sewed them together so I could wrap my hair as I get out of the shower every day. By the time I dry off and get into clothing my hair is almost totally dry. With a round brush and an endless breeze fan I can style my hair just like it's under a dryer - and I don't heat up the Airstream or fight with the air conditioner for voltage. AND I'm ready to go a lot faster. I do have short hair with fine texture, but I showed this trick to a Cherokee friend of mine who has a horse's mane - long heavy thick hair. She has to comb it out, then wrap it, then remove the damp towels and wrap it again with dry ones - but she used to spend an hour or more with a blow dryer and now it's five minutes to touch up.

Your hair will LOVE not being fried with a dryer, too.

Paula
Old 06-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Thanks for all the comments here guys, especially the funny ones. I do intend to purchase a Honda 2000i maybe even two depending on need. I'll definately need at least one to charge my batteries when not in use. Regarding the hairdryer, we don't do a lot of boon docking except that quick overnight stop on the road so the Honda(s) with do the job for all needs.
Joe
TAC FL-47
Old 06-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
My wife has tried several 12v hair dryers. None were adequate. I wouldn't worry about this issue as 12v just doesn't appear up to the task.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Solar hair dryer according to my wife. Comb your hair dry out in the sun. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
[QUOTE=Nomad518;1636402]To solve her problem, I bought a 1000 watt Honda generator. It did a good job of keeping our battery charged when dry camping and provided the power she needed to run her hair dryer on the cold setting. But, that was still not a good solution for her. So, I upgraded to two 2000 watt Honda generators so that we can run our AC when dry camping. And now, she is able to run her blow dryer on the low heat setting with one of the generators running.[QUOTE]

A mere $2,000 for two Honda EU2000i generators. Apparently, we all need them anyway for boondocking unless we have lots of solar panels, lots of storage batteries, and lots of sunlight. But, at least they are pretty quiet. I listened today to three of them running together at a food concession truck at the Kennebunkport Festival and was pleased that even three made pretty low noise and no noticeable smell.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote