Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Norcold NX841 Freezer Question

I noticed recently that in my Norcold NX841's freezer, items on the top shelf do not freeze, but items on the bottom shelf do freeze. I also noticed quite a bit of ice build-up in the freezer, and that if I put my hand on the inside top of the freezer the plan is not that cold (compared to the sides and bottom). I am running on 120v with temperature setting on 9 (coldest).

Is this indicative of anything?
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you defrost the freezer is it still not cold up top?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
I will try that tonight and see if it helps. I just defrosted about 1 month ago, so I'm not sure it's the problem but worth a shot.

I bought a little fan to increase ventilation circulation behind the fridge to see it that helps too.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
I will try that tonight and see if it helps. I just defrosted about 1 month ago, so I'm not sure it's the problem but worth a shot.
Defrosted last night... no improvement. Ice cubes froze on the bottom shelf, stuff on the top doesn't freeze
Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	291033

Here's a shot at the top of the refrigerator compartment. Pretty sure there should be that must moisture on the roof of the fridge (and ice on fins). Fridge temp is a little less than 40 degrees on the maximum setting (9). Outside temp today is about 80, and temp inside airstream is about 68.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
Attachment 291033

Here's a shot at the top of the refrigerator compartment. Pretty sure there should be that must moisture on the roof of the fridge (and ice on fins). Fridge temp is a little less than 40 degrees on the maximum setting (9). Outside temp today is about 80, and temp inside airstream is about 68.
Got an email back from Norcold:

Quote:
Please check the gaskets around the edge of the door by putting a flashlight inside the refrigerator to see if any light peeks through. If there are gaps in the gaskets, this can contribute to the amount of condensation inside the refrigerator. If there are gaps, you may use shims to press them forward towards to refrigerator cabinet. In addition, if the doors are sagging, washers may be used on the lower hinges to raise the level of the door.
Going to try this tonight.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
So, I know nothing about you're fridge. I'm guessing though that it's a gas absorption type from it's specs. More or less a standard RV type fridge.

I tried to download the owner's manual, but got a file corrupted message when I tried to open it.

Here's what I do know. You definitely should not have that amount of condensation inside your fridge. I take it that your picture is the top inside of the fridge, not the freezer, correct.
So yeah, it could be caused by a poor door gasket seal, which is allowing outside air into your fridge causing condensation on the fridge top. Hopefully you'll be able to tell if that's the case.

You should not have anything near that amount of condensation on the roof of your refrigerator. Your cooling fins are covered with ice which in turn acts as an insulator and really reduces their effectiveness. You must definitely defrost completely to get proper cooling when this happens.

Based on your outside temperature of only 80 degree and the fact that you are keeping your camper interior nice and cool, I'm guessing with AC, your fridge should be working optimally at a normal setting. 9 sounds really high. What is the recommended setting?

Also, if you are in a very humid area your fridge should have a setting for this, when activated it helps to prevent interior condensation. Since it appears to be newer (what year is it), that feature may be automatic, but you should check your manual, or ask someone at customer support.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
I did the flashlight test in both the refrigerator and the freezer and found gaps along the top left edges of both compartments! It looks like both doors are sagging and causing the doors not to seal properly.

Now the question is... how do I adjust the doors so that they aren't sagging (and eliminate the gaps)? I tried washers as the Norcold Support suggested, but that didn't seem to do anything aside from raise the level of the whole door... maybe I need more washers?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Trekerboy,
Well, at least you have an idea of what's wrong. I see you made this last post Aug. 2. I just got back from a short jaunt and maybe you've already solved this and moved on, hopefully so. If not, here's some questions: Do your doors latch? They should latch and you should have to push them tight to latch, which should squeeze your gaskets tight between the doors and frames.

If the above is true then maybe you need new door gaskets. Second, besides washers do your hinges have any side to side adjustment ability. They may not be aligned.

You mentioned gaps on the upper left edges. Is that the hinge side or the latch side?

Does upper edge mean along the top or along the side near the top?

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote