Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2004, 07:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

no univolt !!! need help

Here are some photos of the wiring mess. The transfomer has a secondary output of 12.5 volts. For the most part I have no working 12V systems. The output from the transformer feeds into the blob of wiring, which goes into the switch box. The box has two switches for either city power or battery power. Is this a factory setup for 67? Would it be hard to install a univolt or something similar? I have traced out most of the wiring. I do have continuity between wires ( hot & ground) on some of the 12V wires, haven't figured out why yet. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Ignore the dates I can't seem to get camera to work right either (so I guess that means the problem could be ME!)

whistler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0150.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	5816   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0149.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	5817  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0152.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	5818  
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
You have what Airstream called a "univolt."

However, that word is realy a misnomer for what it actually is.

That transformer was first used in the 64 models.

It provides 12 volts AC and 19 volts AC. The 12 volt AC wiring goes to the lights. The 19 volt AC wiring goes to the fan motors. A 12 volt DC motor works about the same on 19 volts AC.

The drawback of the transformer is that you have no way to charge the trailer battery.

To add a regular Univolt is simple and straight forward.

Call me and I will tell you how, provided that you in turn post on this site the information I will give you so that perhaps others could benefit as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Continuity

It will test positive for continuity if a light bulb is in the circuit you are testing.
The light bulb filament completes the circuit...I had similar problem tracing some wires until I remembered to pull the light bulbs.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy,
as soon as I get a chance I'll contact you. Still need to trace out some wires yet.

Zamboni
I removed all the light bulbs already. One circuit thats show continuity in it, is at the demand pump switch. The pump is disconnected (didn't work) and I still have a short between the hot and ground wires at the switch. These wires run up through the roof and for some reason come out in the overhead compartment where they are pigged tailed together (forgive me porky ) As far as I can tell everything appears to be factory installed. Give me another year and I should have it all figured out. Or I'll just have to remove interior shell and rewire everything(not )

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote