Old 10-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
No power to some 110v outlets

I am in the process of renovating my 1971 Sovereign 31. It has the rear bath and twin beds aft of the kitchen. I have power to the 110v outlets in the bath, the bedroom, and the outlet located inside the exterior access door to the converter. The air conditioner also has power. I have no juice to the outlets in the kitchen and living area. All of the 12v stuff works fine.

All of the circuit breakers are good and there is power going out of each branch as verified with a multi-meter. It appears that all of the outlets are wired in a "Daisy chain" and that the current stops at some point in the chain. I removed the covers on all of the nonfunctioning outlets and they are wired correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It may be that the power stops working at the last working outlet in the chain.

I would start by pulling all of the outlets with the power off and then carefully check for power.

You might have a loose wire in the breaker box, might be either an open neutral or an open hot wire.

I think you are almost certain to find the issue in a box or outlet, and not buried in a wall somewhere.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I'm betting the problem is in the patio outlet. That's the exterior outlet. Check for power there and then the next outlet forward on that side. You have to pull it out to the outside to check on it. The wire goes from the curb side bedroom outlet to the patio outlet and forward from there. It's a common spot to have issues.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Another thing to check is that the PO hasn't installed any GFCI circuits with breaker/resets. If you have one of those in your daisy chain, and it needs to be reset, then the power will stop at that point in the chain.

good luck!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
The patio outlet has power. Also, I have pulled every outlet and checked the wiring as well as checking the wiring in the breaker box. No loose connections anywhere. There are no GFCI outlets in the trailer. It's a mystery.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The receptacles used in trailers are what are called shallow box receptacles. The problem with them is they do not make the connections with screws but rather drive the wires into a split blade much like the connection used in telephone panels. They can loosen over time and distance traveled.

If you remove them for testing take it easy to keep from loosening the connection as you go.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
How about the outlet forward of the patio outlet on the curb side. Power there? Do you have the sealed outlets, where the wires are enclosed in the back? Unless you open them up it's impossible to be sure of good connection. Also the patio outlet was often used as a junction point due to wire length. So one wire runs in, another runs out, the wires are stacked and pressed down into the metal clamp in the outlet. Problem is that the bottom wire pushes the metal clamp apart so it doesn't hold the second wire as strongly, that second wire continuing forward can loosen and lose connectivity. Wherever your first outlet moving forward is without power, the problem is either in that outlet or the one before it. What is the first outlet w/o power?

On the line you're having problems with they run:
Breaker box, street side bedroom, curb side bedroom, patio outlet , inside curb side fwd of patio outlet, street side outlet forward of patio outlet, fridge outlet, street side tv outlet, street side fwd, then optional were lounge outle and dining outlet forward.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
How about the outlet forward of the patio outlet on the curb side. Power there? Do you have the sealed outlets, where the wires are enclosed in the back? Unless you open them up it's impossible to be sure of good connection. Also the patio outlet was often used as a junction point due to wire length. So one wire runs in, another runs out, the wires are stacked and pressed down into the metal clamp in the outlet. Problem is that the bottom wire pushes the metal clamp apart so it doesn't hold the second wire as strongly, that second wire continuing forward can loosen and lose connectivity. Wherever your first outlet moving forward is without power, the problem is either in that outlet or the one before it. What is the first outlet w/o power?

On the line you're having problems with they run:
Breaker box, street side bedroom, curb side bedroom, patio outlet , inside curb side fwd of patio outlet, street side outlet forward of patio outlet, fridge outlet, street side tv outlet, street side fwd, then optional were lounge outle and dining outlet forward.
The lack of power starts at the street side TV outlet and includes all outlets after that. It makes sense that that outlet or the wiring coming from the fridge outlet is the source of the problem. I'll focus my attention there. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Turn off the power and check the easiest to get to first. Pop the back off to see if it's a split where 2 wires come together in the box. Push them down to make sure they're tight.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
HiJoeSilver...you are a genius! There was a wire going to the TV outlet that was not pushed in all of the way. Now, I have power to all of the outlets.

I also replaced the Univolt with a Power Max converter and all of the 12V stuff works.

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful responses.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Glad you found it! Those electrical gremlins can be real bastards!
120 and 12v both up and running, good to go! Univolt replacement was a good step forward, your battery(ies) will appreciate it!

Just lots of reading, training, and a good amount of hands on in a million different things, and time to spend on Airforums!