Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Los Angeles , California
No power to CCC - check almost everything - Stumped

Hey all,

I have a 2002 31' Classic - it has the original Duo-Therm Penguin with a 5 button Comfort Control Center (just like this http://amzn.to/1NjrWbA). It was working fine during the summer (thankfully!) then last month just stopped working one day, like the CCC display turned off. I was busy and the weather became moderate so no cool/heat was needed and I didn't look into it much. It's been this weekends project to get it going since it's getting cold and now. I spent all yesterday combing AF the best I could and trying different things mentioned. Now I'm stumped. Here is what I've done so far:

- Checked to make sure CCC was not in "Off" position, also followed mfg reset instructions = nothing
- Checked red to black wire voltage with meter on "phone jack" the plugs into the back of the CCC = 0v
- Checked thermal fuses in 12v distro/panel - check ok visually + continuity check with meter = ok
- Checked voltage from batteries on 12v panel = 13+ OK
- Checked 120v panel fuse for AC = ok
- Checked 3a auto fuse on the relay panel in the AC roof unit (I was hoping this would be it! but no...) = still good, not burned, also continuity checked with meter.

What can I check next?
What should I use as a ground to check the fuse holder to see if power is going through it?
Do I have any other hope aside from assuming my relay panel crapped out?
There is a weird old analog thermostat in the bedroom that never has seemed to do anything, is it possible this is interfering somehow with the main CCC?

I've attached a few pictures of my electrical/therm situation for some context.
(I know my AC is pretty dirty, cleaning it is part of this project )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8834.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	253021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8836.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	253022  

Name:	IMG_8831.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	253023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8822.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	253024  

Name:	IMG_8821.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	253025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8842.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	253026  

Name:	IMG_8841.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	253027  
dex110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
No display, then would not the thermostat be in question instead of the Control board?

Did you see this under Amazon Questions, your link, has service center telephone number:

How do you replace the thermastats with a new one we have with no instructions
Answer:
For starters if you have a "5 button " comfort control center CCC that is bad that would be the only way you would need this product. If you have more or less buttons or a different type of thermostat it will not work for you. If you do have a 5 button then this is the instructions you would have gotten in the box if you had gotten it from Extras4rv dot com
Your Comfort Control Center needs to be calibrated to work with your unit. Here is how to do it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
Five button Comfort Control Center (CCC)set up.
1)You need to plug in and turn the CCC on.
You may get a "E" or a "EE" message. If you don't get error message your good to go.
2) If you do get one of the above error messages hold down the "Mode" and "Zone" and you should get a "INIT" message. You then need to turn it off and wait 10 seconds. then turn it back on.
Dometic s help line is Phone: 1-800-544-4881 see less
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Los Angeles , California
Thanks sgschwend - but that is why I tested the "phone jack" for power first.

Unless I tested it wrong (possible, I put the meter between the red and black wires in the connector) I am not getting any power to the jack, thus, no power is going to the CCC either. According to AF and mfg, I'm supposed to see 5vDC at that jack.

So for now, I've ruled out the CCC itself until I can test it again with power at the jack.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Los Angeles , California
Also- I have called their service line. Unfortunately they aren't too much help.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
I am in the middle of what sounds like a very similar issue. I awoke to a dead CCC. An RV service place replaced the circuit board in the rear of my two air conditioners which showed signs of having burned a little. This did not cure the problem and further testing seems to confirm that the telephone type communications cables between the AC and the CCC and between the two AC units are dead and need replacing. Sounds simple however replacing these cables will require drilling rivets and removing one or more interior panels so I am taking it in to the Airstream service place tomorrow.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Is it possible to run a temporary phone jack cable between the two end points of the one you think has failed to see if that fixes it? Even if that ran through the trailer or out an open window to the roof it would prove the point before going through the process of removing panels.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
1. Sell the A/C and thermostat to someone with lots of patience and diagnostic skills.
2. Buy a new Penguin II (R410A).

You'll both be happy. That's my recommendation.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
No power to CCC - check almost everything - Stumped

You haven't mentioned testing for 12VDC at the A/C unit itself. If the relay board is not getting 12VDC from the fuse panel, it can't power up the CCC.

Another spot to check are the small plastic unions used for connecting the data cables coming from the relay board (usually black) to the comm cable to the CCC ( usually grey). You have to remove the interior air distribution box to access these parts.

Nothing in.......nothing out!

These unions are cheap and have a propensity for failure. You can use either one present if you have a single A/C unit.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Dex110, not helpful to your problem, but your last photo, of the upside down thermostat (in the bedroom), is for the Fantastic Fan.

Maybe helpful, this reference is for the 4-button model, but has lots of info:

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc.pdf
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I just read a little further into that BryantRV reference. It had a great tip on how to follow through on Lewster's advice to check for DC up top. They use a telephone cable and jack with your meter.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
My guess... start or run capacitor.
Ginger
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air83 View Post
My guess... start or run capacitor.
Ginger

Neither have anything to do with getting DC zoo wet to the thermostat.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 11-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Love auto/correct!!!!

The above should read: neither have anything to do with getting 12VDC to the CCC.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357