Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
US 101 , California
no power, now what?

got our 63 globetrotter home today. had a buddy follow me home across town cuz we couldnt get the back lights to work. tested the power on the tv which was fine. inside the trailer there is a circuit breaker with 2 breakers in it. they were both switched up so you could see red. im assuming if you see red its tripped. i dont know for sure, thats why im hoping the collective consciousness that is this site will let me know. got home fine, towed fine with my tv, a 04 toyota 4runner.

once in the driveway i plugged in the shore power on the only plug i could find which sits by the door. there was an orange light, glowing, on, on the top of the breaker box but even with a new bulb no lights. i made sure the ac dc switch, on the ceiling, was set to ac.

are there other fuses i dont know about? what would you do next if you were me? i am over my head and sinking fast. any helpful hints would be ever so appreciated.

peace

paul

Old 05-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Paul,

Congrats on the NEW Airstream!

I have a 61 Bambi. All I know is that sometimes while plugging in, especially to a house, my breakers switch off. Something about polarity. When I put a two pronged to 3 pronged 20 (or 30) amp adapter on the end of the pigtail and then plug in, I'm fine.

Someone out there will have a real answer, but it is a good place to start.

My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
US 101 , California
here's a pic of the breaker box. hoping it might ring a bell with someone out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4842.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	101974  
Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
US 101 , California
hi gypsy,

yeah, even with the breakers reset im still not getting any lights to come on. thanks for the reply.

peace

paul
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Multiple issues

It looks like you are dealing with a number of issues . When you say back lights (tail lights?) , start with the simple stuff first , put in new bulbs and clean the sockets . Next I would suggest make sure you have good grounds at the lights and the vehicle connection. Most of the time light issues are caused by bad grounds. Beyond that it could be any number of things and will require some searching.
If your interior wiring is original ,you have a 12V system and a 120V system that are totally separate. The interior will have 12V and 120V lights. The 12V system is powered by the on board battery , if its missing , not hooked up ,or bad this system won't function. It should be in a compartment on the street side. I'd start with that.

Your 120V system is shore power into a two breaker box and then two 120 circuits in the trailer (pretty much the same as residential wiring). The outlets on the exterior are just that -outlets (which by the way are not ground fault protected) . If you are not proficient with electrical work , have someone who is, help with that part.

Congrats on your purchase. Don't feel overwhelmed , its a lot of fun to learn about and work on the vintage stuff.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
No Power

I have a 65 Safari and I have found that when I loose power most of the time it it the screw in fuses in the back of the univolt. I spent many hours trying to track down no power and didn't even know that the screw in fuses were there. Mine had a flip down door on the back and inside is 2 screw-in fuses and a small line fuse. Good luck......Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
The light on the breaker box should only come on if something is wrong with the polarity on the 110v system. I agree with checking the ground.

The battery box for the 12v system on my '63 Globetrotter (Ohio built) is located on the curb side.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
if your 63 is like mine you should have a power CORD with a male end that plugs into a female receptacle (shore power) , from there it goes to your breaker box. Check for voltage (w/meter) at the top and bottom of your breaker, if you are hot on both sides then current should be going into the trailer circuits. Start with that. For 12v the modern 7 pin are configured differently on your tv and you cant just plug and go, if you already have a compatible plug on your coach then I would look for a bad ground. There is a "junction box" curb side just aft of the a-frame in the belly pan, look there (usually white wire-but check for pwr just in case its a diff color) while you are under there make sure the problem is not a bad fuse
hope that helps, but electrical problems can originate from many sources resulting in the pulling of ones hair out... but dont give up!!!! Also on your coach there is no univolt but like 63 air said they are two separate systems
Kevin
Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
When I said street side I meant to say curbside ,sorry about that.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
US 101 , California
enlightenment

so far so good. i didnt even know about the junction box near the aframe. mine is covered with an aluminum plate held in by some flat head screws. there are fuses in there? also, the 7 blade connector, even though it fits into my tv, is not set up the same/compatible with modern setup? do you guys know anyone in the san fran bay area who does electrical work on these moldy oldies? i'm comfortable with dismantling a cabinet and refinishing it, or putting a new floor in, but when it comes to things that will kill you like electricity or gas, paying someone to fix it right is worth the expense. thanks for all the input so far. with any luck ill at least get the inside lights to work so i can go and drink a beer in the trailer when i get home from work tonight...
Old 05-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Ok since you said the beer word, more info. Any good trailer place should be able to help with the Tow wiring and can tell you if the tv is on the same page as the trailer. The older trailers had a separate wire for stop and turn the new wiring on the tv combines those two functions on one circuit, but added a circuit for a back-up light which your coach lacks. This is where some modification may be necessary... but yours may have been done already!
Yes there should be an inline fuse in you belly pan access, but the oldies are full of surprises.
When checking 120v remember one socket is 12v the other is 120v... two separate systems.
kevin
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Easy start is to check the trailer lights with a battery and a couple of jumper wires to see how your trailer plug is is wired. That will give you an idea how things match up with your tow vehicle. Then you can either change the trailer plug to match or redo the wiring at the belly junction to match your vehicle .Unless your trailer has been updated things will not match. Also there shoud be a circuit breaker inside the belly pan.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
US 101 , California
another mystery...

thanks for all the helpful hints. rainy day here today so i wont be doing too much crawling around under the trailer today. i did take a few pics of a curious object located on the front gaucho. i dont know what it is. im hoping one of you will. is it a fuse box? the last pic is the wires that come out the back of it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4844.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	102241   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4845.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	102242  

Name:	100_4847.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	102243   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4848.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	102244  

Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1obetrotter View Post
thanks for all the helpful hints. rainy day here today so i wont be doing too much crawling around under the trailer today. i did take a few pics of a curious object located on the front gaucho. i dont know what it is. im hoping one of you will. is it a fuse box? the last pic is the wires that come out the back of it...
It is a dual 12 volt outlet, like the cigarette lighter outlet in your car. The white plastic thing in the red wire coming out the back is an inline fuse holder for these outlets. Looks like an aftermarket addition.