Old 09-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
No AC electric power

Two of the last 3 times out, I have had NO electric power. I did have battery power. I find that the ground fault on the trailer and post both trip. I have tried both the front and rear shore power outlets, and changed the shore cord. I have 2 and also used fellow campers cords and other power posts. I ran on propane for frig.and water heater while out and have power for the interior lights (LED"S). No microwave or TV. We also took showers.
I took in for service and am told I have 2 completely dead batteries (new in May) and the heating element in the water heater is bad.???? I just ran 4 days on battery.
Let me back up; First time no power, took in told Air Conditioner worked fine, blew cold and fixed jack switch. Than went camping and everything worked. Next time out, as described.
What am I/we missing??

Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Four days could mean dead batteries. Check em. Jim

avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
My first suggestion would be to find an honest shop.

Even if your batteries were dead that would have NO effect on the AC system.

Disconnect the convertor by removing the it's AC plug. Work your way from the AC source. If you have a GFI that plugs into the AC source plug it in. From this point on anything you plug in causes the GFI to fail you have found the problem. If it holds plug in just the cord to AC. With ALL breakers off in the trailer attach to trailer to the cord. If the GFI holds one by one turn on the breakers, leaving the trailer GFI till last. If all the breakers held till you turned the trailer GFI on the problem may be a faulty trailer GFI of something on that circuit. If everything held to this point disconnect the grund terminals on the batteries and plug in the convertor. if the breaker fails at that point the convertor has a fault.

Now for the batteries. With a voltmeter and while the ground terminals are disconnected test each battery. They should read the Same voltage. Any difference of more than a 1/4 volt could mean the lower battery is drawing down the higher battery. This type of failure would kill them in hours not days when disconnected from AC

Heating elements generally fail open and should not effect the GFI. Disconnect the white wire going to the element and with a voltmeter test between that connection and the disconnected wire while the heater is on AC. If you have voltage across that connection the element is good.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Oops, sorry. Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote