Old 08-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

2007 20' Safari
Lakeland , Florida
No 120VAC electricity in my Safari

I have a 2007 20ft Airstream Safari 75th Anniversary edition travel trailer. I don't use it much, but try to get it out once a month for cleaning and run the the appliances. Yesterday, I took it out and plugged it in to my home's 15 amp outlet and turned on the A/C and 'frig. like I always do. After leaving it that way for about 12 hrs, I turned off everything, unplugged it and washed it well. Then I hooked it up to my trucked and towed it around the the block. After returning home, I plugged it back in to the house outlet and found no ac electricity was entering the Safari. I checked all outlets in the house and they were all functioning. No curcuit breakers were tripped in the house or on the Safari. All the electical cords were intact and functional. The 12v dc system was working and the 2 - 12v batteries were tested and found to be in good shape. Just no ac electricity in the camper. Anybody have a similar experience or knows whats going on? I want to make sure I'm not missing a reset switch or something before I take it to the dealer for service. Any ideas would be much appreciate. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Just a thought....

at my house I have to plug the AS into one of my outside outlets, one that has a ground fault interrupter or whatever it is called.

sometimes that outlet will trip and unless i go in the garage to see that the outlet in the garage which has a visible warning light has tripped, i wouldn't know why the outlet isn't working...

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A 15 amp service is no wheres enough to run the AC alone let alone with the frig and convertor on also. You are lucky you did not have a fire in your house.

First thing to do is test the outlet on the house with a meter of just a light. If you have voltage there, plug in, go inside the trailer. remove the cover on the circuit breaker panel and test for voltage, with a meter, on the input side of the panel. If there is no voltage there you may have melted the umbilical cord. If there is voltage there, which I doubt because you said the complete trailer is dead, you can test each breaker on the output side. Look at the plug end on the umbilical for any signs of melting around the blades.

If you do not have voltage at the house check the breaker that feeds that circuit in your house panel. If the breaker is good and you have no power outside it is time to get an electrician as the wire is most likely melted between the panel and the outlet on the house.

No need to go to a Dealer till you determine if you have voltage at the house outlet.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The air conditioner won't consistently run on a 15-amp circuit. I suspect that the circuit breaker in your home's breaker box (that corresponds to the circuit you have your shore power cord connected to) has tripped.

First, turn the air condition to OFF. Then, even though it may look like the breaker on your house is ON, push it firmly to the OFF position (in fact, past the OFF position) to reset the breaker. Then, switch the breaker back ON.

If you want to run your air conditioner, you need to install a 30-amp RV outlet on the side of your house.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There have been several that installed an RV outlet themselves, or even had an electrician do this; and it was wired incorrectly, damaging their Airstream (i.e., shore power cable, connectors, converter and/or 110-volt appliances, like the TV, microwave, etc.). So, unless you are familiar with AC (alternating current) wiring, you may wish to have this done professionally; and even then, you should test the completed RV outlet yourself BEFORE connecting to shore power for the first time.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

2007 20' Safari
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've checked all circuit breakers (house and Safari) and turned them off and back on. No change. I even checked the external electical cords for continuity using my ohm meter, and those are OK. I'll take it to the dealer (Bates RV) tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Pay attention to what Howie said....you could ruin the AC unit on that power source.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you have an ohm meter I assume it has a volt meter setting in it. If so just test your system till you find the lose of AC power. There is no reason to go to a dealer till know the problem is in fact in the trailer and not your house. The dealer can not check you house

Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
d'oh?

Would putting the Power/Store switch in the STORE position do this?
Just a thought - you could bump up against it

Paula
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Would putting the Power/Store switch in the STORE position do this?
Just a thought - you could bump up against it

Paula
If you are referring to the lose of AC power in the trailer NO. The storage switch only interrupts the 12 volt battery supply to the trailer. It would have no effect on the AC side.

He has got to tell us if he does or does not have power at the receptacle he is plugged into at the house before we can go any further. Once that is known to be positive than he can check for voltage on the input side of the breakers inside the AC panel in the trailer. If that turns out to be positive and the breakers are in fact on than it may be time to go to the dealer.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #10

2007 20' Safari
Lakeland , Florida
Hi everyone. Just an update on my electrical problem in my 2007 Airstream Safari. I took it to the dealer and they found a damaged connector and circuit board. They are not sure what caused the problems. They suspect a power surge. Lightning? They said running the electrical system on a 15 amp, 110 volt line wouldn't cause these problems. Anyway, no more using a 15 amp line. Thanks for all of the help! Time to sell the Safari.