Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
No 120v

I've put a new battery in the old girl and I now have interior lights! But much to my chagrin I still cannot get any 120v, so no juice from any of the outlets, etc.... I need to know if anyone has any ideas? There is a large gauge white wire under the front goucho that seems to be cut and one side has a spade/ two prong connector on it. Could that be the problem? I think I have pretty much figured out the towing/embilical cord connection, I just need to figure out charge wire and back up lights.... there are some wires connected together at the front where the embilical cord is (What a mess!).... does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
kuhldeville the large white wire is the main ground to the umbilical connector. The charge line will be a large guage blue wire similar in size to the large white wire. The back up lights are on a smaller black wire.
The umbilical wiring is as follows: Red = Left Turn, Brown = Right Turn, Green = Running Lights, Black = Reverse Lights. White is ground, Blue is charge line and yellow is electric brakes.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Did you find your power cord reel for the shore power? Is your unit a rear or center bath model? Did you find your 120VAC circuit breaker panel box?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
I did find the cord it was hiding in the dark... LOL, up front I there are two large guage what wires that look like they are the same, I don't see a yellow wire or a blue wire, there is an orange wire tied to a another black wire I think... I will look again tomorrow... 10 days an counting...
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there are two power systems in the trailer. one is 12v dc and the other is 120v ac. the 120v outlets only have power when you are plugged into shore power.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhldeville Here is a breakdown of the 7 pin connector in the trailer. You will have four 12 guage wires and two 8 guage wires coming from the curbside of the trailer to the 7 pin connector. They should be 12 guage- brown,green,red and black. The 8 guage should be blue and white. There will also be four wires coming from the roadside of the trailer to the 7 pin connector. They should be 2 yellow,red and white and all 12 guage.
If you look at the back of the 7 pin at the one o'clock position is the white wire going to the bolt that holds the connector to the shell. Attached at that bolt will be the 8 guage white wire from the univolt(curbside) and the 12 guage white wire from the brakes(roadside).This is the ground for the brakes and 7 pin connector.
At the 3:00 o'clock position will be the brown 12 guage wire(curbside) going to the right turn signal and brake light.
At the 5:00 o'clock position will be the green 12 guage wire(curbside) going to the running lights.
At the 7:00 o'clock position will be the red 12 guage wire(curbside) going to the left turn signal and brake light.
At the 9:00 o'clock poisition will be the two yellow 12 guage wires(roadside), one goes to the brakes and the other goes to the breakaway switch attached to the tongue of the trailer.
At the11:00 o'clock position will be the black 12 guage wire(curbside) going to the reverse lights.
At the center pin position will be a blue 8 guage wire which should be connected to a circuit breaker. the other connection of the circuit breaker will be the blue 8 guage wire(curbside) and the red 12 guage wire(roadside) going to the power tongue jack and the breakaway switch attached to the tongue of the trailer.
That is the wiring for the 7 pin connector.
As Ricky states this has nothing to do with the 120VAC system.
You said you found the shore power cord. Is it on a power reel as I stated earlier? Also do you have a center or rear bath trailer? You must have an adapter to plug the 30 AMP shore power cord into a receptacle at your home. Do you have this adapter? Have you plugged in the shore power cord? Are you shure the receptacle you are plugging into is live? Did you find your circuit breaker panel box in the trailer? Is the main breaker and the other breakers turned on? You have to work your way down the line to find the problem. Start at your home receptacle and make sure it is live, next will be the circuit breaker panel and from there power is distributed throughout the trailer. Do you own a multimeter and do you know how to use it and feel comfortable using it? 120VAC power can kill you if you don't know what your'e doing. I don't want to suggest using it unless you can use it safely.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhldeville View Post
I did find the cord it was hiding in the dark... LOL, up front I there are two large guage what wires that look like they are the same, I don't see a yellow wire or a blue wire, there is an orange wire tied to a another black wire I think... I will look again tomorrow... 10 days an counting...
Rear bath
Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
wasagchris,
You said you found the shore power cord. Yes
Is it on a power reel as I stated earlier? I think so I haven't pulled it out yet
Do you have a center or rear bath trailer? Rear
You must have an adapter to plug the 30 AMP shore power cord into a receptacle at your home. Do you have this adapter? Yes
Have you plugged in the shore power cord? Yes
Are you sure the receptacle you are plugging into is live? Yes
Did you find your circuit breaker panel box in the trailer? I think so, I found a green box curb side near the wheel well
Is the main breaker and the other breakers turned on? Can't tell
You have to work your way down the line to find the problem.
Start at your home receptacle and make sure it is live, next will be the circuit breaker panel and from there power is distributed throughout the trailer. How can I tell if the breakers are on or off and if they are off, how do I turn them on?
Do you own a multimeter and do you know how to use it and feel comfortable using it? Yes
120VAC power can kill you if you don't know what you're doing.
I don't want to suggest using it unless you can use it safely. Always, rubber shoes, rubber gloves and no standing in puddles of water!
Thanks for your help

Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
The wiring diagram for a rear bath shows it located roadside about three feet from the rear. Which would place either in the bathroom or in a closet just in front of the bathroom.The breaker box should have four breakers in it. One will be the main 30 amp breaker and the other three should be 20 amp for the two circuits and the A/C circuit. Mine is grey in color. The breakers flip up to turn them on.
Your power cord if on the reel should be roadside accessed through a small flip down door with two latches. The water hose reel should also be located there.
Safety Good ideas also don't let mulitmeter probes contact live wires and any other metal.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
Do you have any idea what the green box is?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhldeville No "green box" description is a little vague. Can you post a pic of it or at least describe it a little further. Does it have circuit breakers or the small glass automotive fuses?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Kuhldeville No "green box" description is a little vague. Can you post a pic of it or at least describe it a little further. Does it have circuit breakers or the small glass automotive fuses?
"Green box" is the converter.... still can't seem to find the damn panel! I looked in the bathroom closet, in the "hall" closet, cup boards, etc.... this is crazy! I also found a hose under the kitchen sink that isn't connected to anything! So much for someone that was living in this thing 3 years ago! I have my work cut out for me.... needs to be livable in a week!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
The original 7 pin was not connected.... I have a white (8 gauge?) wire that is hot hot (12 v) coming off the circuit breaker.... should it be hot?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhldeville white wire is usually ground (12VDC-). Is the white wire coming off circuit breaker you speak of at the 7 pin location? Where does the wire go to and where does it come from?