Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
Yes, one of the white wires comes off the breaker (with a red and blue attached on the other side). I have no yellow wires at all! There is, brown, green, red, black, white, and another black and orange that look like someone tied them together.... Connected everything except the yellow wires as above and nothing worked the way the should, left turn signal on truck = right turn signal on AS... I am going to go back back tomorrow and use a different 12v battery to get running, turn and brake lights to work, I don't know what I am going to do about brake (how would I go about testing them?) or the break away.... Anyone have any ideas

Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhl so white to 1:00brown to 3:00, green to 5:00, red to 7:00 black to 11:00 are connected right? then black and orange should be coming from roadside of trailer, if so they go to 9:00 instead of yellows and large white that is 12VDC+ from breaker goes to center pin.
A/S 7 pin connector and umbilical are different that standard today. To get everything working right you will have to change the position of the wires on the vehicle end of the umbilical to match standard of todays cars.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
Damn I am not sure what happened to my reply but here we go again... I connected everything per the layout above.... nothing worked correctly.... I am going to have to trace out the wires I have... there are no yellow wires at all.... I have a white wire coming off the breaker (w/ red and blue at one side), green, brown, red, black, white, plus white ground, and what appears to be a black wire and an orange wire tied together by PO... it is a mess!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #18
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhl does the orange and black tied together come from roadside?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
Yes the orange and black are from roadside.... instead of trying to rewire my truck, wouldn't it be easier to make the changes to the AS side, since I have to install a new 7 connector anyway? I don't even have 7 wires coming from the TV side anyway....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhl yes It would be eaaier to rewire the A/S to match today's standard wiring pattern. Most people keep the A/S the same as original. It's a small step for security. That way the only umbilical cord that will work is yours and may slow down a thief. Some people have even wired their trailer so the the standard pattern actually applies the trailer brakes and will really hinder theft.

So if orange and black are tied together and coming from roadside they are for power to electric brakes and breakaway switch on the tongue. They should be attached to the 9:00 position in the A/S pattern. The large white wire coming from the circuit breaker that is 12VDC+ goes to the center pin(again in the A/S pattern). That is your charge line to recharge the trailer battery from the TV's alternator while driving.
You said the circuit breaker had a blue(large gauge?) and a red wire attached to the other side of the breaker. Does the red wire go to the roadside of trailer? If it does that is the 12VDC+ for the tongue jack and breakaway switch.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #21
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhl I am guessing that your TV has only 6 wires because most do not have the wire for reverse lights.
Here is a link to a website that shows todays standard pattern.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
the black wire from the curbside that you say should be at 11 is back up lights, also for some reason I now have no running lights (even if I put power to the green wire) is there a fuse box some where? This is turning out to be a real mess!!! I have turn and brake lights, I don't know if my brakes on the trailer are working, I don't have any running lights and I don't know if I am getting a charge from the TV... The brown wire 1 position = left, the red 5 position = right.... am I missing something some where? Nothing seems to be as it should
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #23
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhl Yes 11:00 black wire from curbside is reverse lights. Brown wire at 3:00 RIGHT TURN from curbside red wire at 5:00 LEFT TURN from curbside. How are you putting power to green wire? If you are using a seperate battery or battery charger you munst also attach grong wire from battery or charger to trailer ground to complete circuit. As far as I know the 73's did not have fuses for running/turn/reverse or brake lights. The only circuit that had a circuit breaker was the charge line. I'm not sure what you mean by position 1 or position 5. I am describing the trailer end of the 7 pin as airstream wired in in 73 and using hours on the clock to describe the locations. If you are looking at the 7 pin from inside 12:00 is a t the top and 6:00 is at the bottom.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry, position 1, etc = clock positions...
My problem is that the 11:00 position on from the TV is hot, I can't seem to find, back up lights, and I have not running lights! I am driving myself crazy and I am sure that I am not doing much better for you! Thanks for all your help! Happy Thanksgiving!

I am going to break this down so that I have a clear understanding of how everything should hook up:
1:00 = White (?)
3:00 = Brown
5:00 = Red
7:00 = Green (?)
9:00 = Black/Orange
11:00 = Black
Center = White (8ga)
Old 11-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #25
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhl Lets see if we can get this sorted out for you. First do you want to keep the a/s pattern so you have a unique umbilical or do you want to have trailer match todays standard.
If you look at the wiring patterns on the link I provided you will see that the clock positions are mirror reversed depending on whether you are looking at the back(wiring side) of the coupler or looking at the front (pin side). For example 11:00 black hot (12VDC+ charge line) on the front(pin side) becomes 1:00 on the back(wiring side)
Old 11-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Phoenix , Arizona
My Excella did not have the original cord only the recepticle AS side, so I have had to get a whole new set up.... At some point if I am able I will put it back to original, but at this point in time I don't have the luxury of time to wait....
SO, since everthing is revervesed, when I am looking at the back side of the plug that is AS side that the embilicale cord plugs into, I need to reverse everything?
1:00 = White (?) - 11:00
3:00 = Brown - 9:00
5:00 = Red 7:00
7:00 = Green (?) - 7:00
9:00 = Black/Orange - 3:00
11:00 = Black - 1:00
Center = White (8ga)
Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #27
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kuhl
1)Does your TV have a 6 or 7 pin connector?
2)Does the TV have a blade or round connector?
3)Does your TV have a brake controller?
4)Have you purchased an umbilical yet?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #28
x

XXXX , XXXX
O.K. since you don't want to help me help you by letting me know exactly what equipment you have. Let's assume that your TV has a brake controller and a 7 pin blade connection. You have purchased a 7 pin umbilical with the blade end and the other end has bare wires. You have also purchased another umbilical end which has the round pin to match the connection on your trailer.
The umbilical round end is wired to the bare wires as follows:
1:00 Black wire from umbilical for charge line
3:00 Green wire from umbilical for right turn and stop lights
5:00 Blue wire from umbilical for electric brakes
7:00 White wire from umbilical for 12VDC- ground
9:00 Yellow wire from umbilical for left turn and stop lights
11:00Brown wire from umbilical for running lights
Center pin purple wire from umbilical for reverse lights

Then wire the trailer connector as follows:
1:00 Green wire from curbside for running lights
3:00 Red wire from curbside for left turn and stop lights
5:00 White wire to 12VDC- ground to frame or shell with mounting bolt for connector
7:00 Orange & Black wires tied together from roadside for electric brakes and breakaway switch
9:00 Brown wire from roadside for right turn and stop lights
11:00 White wire from circuit breaker(the other side of breaker has bluewire(curbside) and red wire (roadside) for the charge line 12VDC+
Center pin Black wire from curbside for reverse lights