Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Leavenworth , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to RVNUTTY
Newbie Questions

Is there an AIRSTREAM FOR DUMMIES book? Cause I need to buy it! I just plugged in my A/S for the first time and there's a constant humming in the back where the bathroom is...is that normal?

Is it ok to have it hooked up to an RV extension cord if it's raining outside? Is that black plug thing in the rear suppose to be protected somehow from the rain? (Water & Electricity scare me obviously!)

One more dumb question...I have a 1973 - 25 ft LandYacht...What is that? A Sovereign, a Safari, or just a LandYacht?

thanks
rvnutty
RVNUTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
That hummm...

is the Univolt battery charger/12v converter. It's normal for it to hum... be concerned when you DON'T hear it any longer!

It's OK for the trailer's cord to be in the rain. If I'm going to be set up for any length of time with an extension cord, I'll wrap some electrical tape around the connectors, but you don't really need to worry about it. I do try to keep the junction up out of any possible puddles though.

I'm not sure what the "black plug thing in the rear" refers to.

I'd guess that your 25' is a Tradewind.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

"Is there an AIRSTREAM FOR DUMMIES book?"

No, but this is their website.

"there's a constant humming in the back where the bathroom is...is that normal?"

Yes. That would be your 12 volt converter. Many of your systems use 12 volt power.

"Is it ok to have it hooked up to an RV extension cord if it's raining outside?"

Campground outlets usually have covers. I take it you are plugged into a house outlet? If so, be aware that it is safe for no more than 15 amps (the rating on the electrical connectors). And if it is exposed to the elements, then no, I would not use it when raining.

"One more dumb question...I have a 1973 - 25 ft LandYacht...What is that? A Sovereign, a Safari, or just a LandYacht?"

All Airstreams of that vintage are "Landyachts". The '73 25' was
the "Tradewind".

Welcome!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by j54mark
[B
"Is it ok to have it hooked up to an RV extension cord if it's raining outside?"

Campground outlets usually have covers. I take it you are plugged into a house outlet? If so, be aware that it is safe for no more than 15 amps (the rating on the electrical connectors). And if it is exposed to the elements, then no, I would not use it when raining.

Mark [/B]
Mark raises a good point. I had presumed that you were plugged into a 'covered' RV 30 amp outlet. If it's a standard 15 amp household outlet that doesn't have a weatherhead or cover door to weatherproof it, then it's not a great idea.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Leavenworth , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to RVNUTTY
Thanks for helping. I AM hooked up to the house. So I went outside and unplugged it. There's a long black cord that comes out of the rear bumper that also has all the hoses in it. That's what I plugged it into and it seemed to turn on all the lights inside just fine. I hope that's the right cord!
RVNUTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
RVnutty, where are you physically located? It really is helpful to have a little show-and-tell session in person, and I'd bet a buck that some other Airstreamer in your area would be willing to do so!

Lynn