Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Fairhope , lower alabama
Newbie Idiot needs AC advice

Hi everyone. Sweating here in the south and looking for help. Just bought my airstream/ barley used, 2010 FB International. Thrilled until about 8am this morning when it started getting really hot. First morning out the door and I have already goofed. Parked in driveway and ran power line to house, but had to use long ext cord with adapter to a house 2 prong. It ran for about 10 minutes and then everything died. The breaker in house tripped. Unplugged everything in garage and started over. The AC still won't come back on. Hooked power to 5k generator, 30 amp, again, everything works expect the AC. Checked breaker under bed, and the 20 was down, 30 up. Tried to reset,but 20 is soft and won't click. I assume they are both supposed to e up on far left breaker, there is a a 20 and 30 on same breaker. Tiny things. So far no AC, plugged back into house, gen too loud. Any advise or at least tell me how bad I have messed up. Would greatly appreciate it.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
For your AC system to work properly, you really should have had a 30 amp circuit installed, along with the proper outlet. You will hopefully find a cord in the trunk of your trailer, that you will use when you go camping in it.

So hopefully, the breaker tripping has saved you from destroying something in your AC. You can't really pull enough current through a skinny old long extension cord to operate the AC properly.

So to sum up, if you want to use the Airstream AC at home, install a proper outlet for it.

Otherwise, leave the AC in the trailer off.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Good advice, Aage!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Your 20 amp breaker which won't reset sounds like it has failed. Those half space breakers are famous for not holding a long term load like an AC unit, especially if the voltage is low and yours was probably due to the extension cord situation.

You need a proper 30 amp RV outlet for your rig. You may have to replace the little half sized 20 amp breaker too, it may have given it's all, but try to reset it again, when it is cooler and the AC is not on.

You probably did not damage the AC unit.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimarriott View Post
Checked breaker under bed, and the 20 was down, 30 up. Tried to reset,but 20 is soft and won't click. I assume they are both supposed to e up on far left breaker, there is a a 20 and 30 on same breaker. Tiny things. So far no AC, plugged back into house, gen too loud. Any advise or at least tell me how bad I have messed up. Would greatly appreciate it.
Welcome to the forums, sorry it isn't under better circumstances!

Aage is right, best not to try to run A/C from an ordinary household outlet, especially with an extension cord. A/C should work fine from your 5 KW generator, though.

About the breaker that won't reset--some breakers have to be pushed all the way to the OFF position to reset before pushing back to ON. You might give it a try.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
If you install a 30 amp outlet and need an extension, buy a 30 amp extension cord. A typical 15-20 amp cord is inadequate to run the A/C, and you will think you didn't accomplish anything.
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Fairhope , lower alabama
thanks to you all for the info. what a great forum. stood out there half the day sweating and worrying about what i did and how much it was gonna cost me. i will take to the rv place and let them figure it out before i royally mess up.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
try resetting the breaker as mentioned above. it might save you a trip in the heat.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
For your AC system to work properly, you really should have had a 30 amp circuit installed, along with the proper outlet. You will hopefully find a cord in the trunk of your trailer, that you will use when you go camping in it.

So hopefully, the breaker tripping has saved you from destroying something in your AC. You can't really pull enough current through a skinny old long extension cord to operate the AC properly.

So to sum up, if you want to use the Airstream AC at home, install a proper outlet for it.

Otherwise, leave the AC in the trailer off.
Also, the longer the extension cord, the heavier-gauge it should be, to minimize voltage loss. If the shore power cord that came with your trailer isn't long enough, get a shore power extension cord. Don't try to use a household extension cord with an adaptor. Smaller-gauge wire means more electrical resistance and more heat. An extension cord that's not beefy enough can get hot enough to melt the insulation off of it!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Fairhope , lower alabama
Newbie Idiot Still Struggling

This is not going to beat me. Getting AS p'ed off with that AC. Have twice run enough power to it to start the d*** thing up and nothing. I have reset the breakers, the thermostat comes on, I put it on 65 auto, I wait until the trailer cools off and I sit there watching that blasted thing and nothing. Everything else works fine. I have the single 30amp connection. Its a long one (15ft?) and I assume it came with the original AS. Looks like it did. I am certain it is something simple such as releasing the pressure off the ac head I read about or resetting some GFI that I can't find. Nearest dealer is 4 hours away so I am going to the local rv place tomorrow. If anyone has any guidance on what I can tell him to look for first, i would appreciate it. You never know what you'll get at one of these shops.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
RESETTING BREAKERS - push DOWN all the way OFF, then reset. Half UP is OFF!!!!!!!

It could be just that simple.

Paula
Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Fairhope , lower alabama
Newbie Finally Gets it Working Thanks All

Thanks to everybody. It was the breaker and I turned everything off, turned off all the breakers and pushed them all the way down, hard and then reset. Did it twice to make sure. Hooked up to 4k gens this morning and it worked, finally. Thanks to everyone for walking me through it with the basics.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Dedicated outlet needed

Just remember.... You still need a dedicated 30 Amp outlet to your house power to run the trailer and A/C when in the driveway. I had an electrician mount my RV 30 Amp outlet to the front of my garage. I only use the Airstream provided shore power cord that came with my trailer and all works fine. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Fairhope , lower alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Just remember.... You still need a dedicated 30 Amp outlet to your house power to run the trailer and A/C when in the driveway. I had an electrician mount my RV 30 Amp outlet to the front of my garage. I only use the Airstream provided shore power cord that came with my trailer and all works fine. Ed
Thanks. I will do that