Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Sugar land , Texas
Newbie has power questions

We recently bought a 71 land yacht that we plan to use on our property. I just received the estimate from the electric co-op to run a power line to the trailer, and whe you add the cost of the electrician to install a power loop, it is nearly $4000. I have multiple questions:
1. Would it be better to buy a generator, and if so, how big (31 foot trailer)
2. If we do install a power pole, what is the maximum length of an extension cord can I run from the airstream? The power cord attached to the rv is about 15 feet.
3. I have searched the paperwork and cannot determine whether this is a 25, 35, or 50 amp power system.

Thanks for any wisdom you can bestow
Czechitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums!

If your rig is 31 feet and has two ACs it's probably has a 50 amp system as opposed the 30-amp system standard on smaller rigs with 1 AC. You can tell by the female end of the cord attached to the AS, if by no other means. A 30-amp plug has 3 prongs and a 50-amp plug has 4 prongs.

Airstreams typically have a 25-foot shore power cord...I'd be hesitant to go longer than that on a full-time basis. We have an additional 25' extension cord that we use occasionally when we need it to get to the power source ins campground, but have used it only once.

If you get a generator, a 3000w should give you enough power for most of your needs using AC, but you may not be able to run two ACs at the same time. The size of your AC(s) would also come into play in determining size. It it's going to be a sationery situation you could consider a larger generator if you really think you need more oomph.

I'm sure you'll get other replied with more information that you'll find useful...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechitout View Post
1. Would it be better to buy a generator, and if so, how big (31 foot trailer)
Check generator prices. Considering maintenance and fuel expense, and the fact that you cannot leave the generator running for a week at a time unattended to power things like the fridge, you might find that the $4000 is a pretty good deal.

Generators are loud and are mechanical devices that are prone to failures.

Quote:
2. If we do install a power pole, what is the maximum length of an extension cord can I run from the airstream? The power cord attached to the rv is about 15 feet.
In practice you'll find that you can go up to around 50 feet or so with standard sized wire. Anything beyond that and you have to increase wire sizes to avoid voltage drop, and it becomes less and less practical. Consider that a cord left outside year around will only last 5 years or so.

Quote:
3. I have searched the paperwork and cannot determine whether this is a 25, 35, or 50 amp power system.
Your 1972 would have come with 30 amp service from the factory.

It is possible, though unlikely, that someone replaced it with 50 amp service at some point, especially if you have dual air conditioners.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power, electrical system