Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
new umbilical cord

The trailer I just purchased (89 Excella) is in need of a new umbilical cord. The old one looks like it was drug on the ground and with lots of electrical tape "fixes".
Looking for a recommendation here:
  1. Is it worthwhile to make a removable umbilical cord or just replace the existing hard wired cord?
  2. I was thinking about making a bracket to mount under center of the trailer frame and mount a female 7 blade receptacle and get a coiled umbilical cord as seen here: RVUpgradeStore - 7 Way Round(RV style connector) to 7 Way Round(RV style connector) With 5' Coiled Electrical Cable
  3. Should I take the extra time and make a hole in the front of the trailer for the female receptacle?
  4. Is is worthwhile to have round pins on the umbilical cord - my forum search shows there is a wide variety of opinions on this topic.
Thanks for your help - Steve
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
The trailer I just purchased (89 Excella) is in need of a new umbilical cord. The old one looks like it was drug on the ground and with lots of electrical tape "fixes".
Looking for a recommendation here:
  1. Is it worthwhile to make a removable umbilical cord or just replace the existing hard wired cord?
  2. I was thinking about making a bracket to mount under center of the trailer frame and mount a female 7 blade receptacle and get a coiled umbilical cord as seen here: RVUpgradeStore - 7 Way Round(RV style connector) to 7 Way Round(RV style connector) With 5' Coiled Electrical Cable
  3. Should I take the extra time and make a hole in the front of the trailer for the female receptacle?
  4. Is is worthwhile to have round pins on the umbilical cord - my forum search shows there is a wide variety of opinions on this topic.
Thanks for your help - Steve

Crispy,
Have you seen this post by Bob Fowler...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...lem-64886.html

If I were in your shoes I would do what Bob did. But then again that's just my opinion.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
That is essentially the idea that I was thinking about but I need to mount the receptacle closer to the frame because the original cable was damaged closer to the trailer.

Bob has a good idea - thanks.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I REALLY like the idea of this solution to the umbilical problem ... but it seems to me that there is one issue: if you were at a rest area and a vandal decided to walk off with your umbilical cord, he/she could do so and you'd be up the creek. The "usual" umbilical style is not so easily removable ...
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Factory Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
The trailer I just purchased (89 Excella) is in need of a new umbilical cord. I was thinking about making a bracket to mount under center of the trailer frame and mount a female 7 blade receptacle and get a coiled umbilical cord...Should I take the extra time and make a hole in the front of the trailer for the female receptacle...Is is worthwhile to have round pins on the umbilical cord - my forum search shows there is a wide variety of opinions on this topic.

On the '78 year model, the umbilical was removeable from the factory.

See Electrical Wiring and Front Photo below...

The interior terminations are in the lower left hand third of the last pic.

On the Round Pin question - I occasionally experience problems, but a shot of WD-40 usually solves any open circuit anomaly.

You may be able to get all of the necessary parts off of a salvage unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CH 8 Electrical page (3).jpg
Views:	234
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	104487  
Attached Images

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
On the '78 year model, the umbilical was removeable from the factory.

See Electrical Wiring and Front Photo below...

The interior terminations are in the lower left hand third of the last pic.

On the Round Pin question - I occasionally experience problems, but a shot of WD-40 usually solves any open circuit anomaly.

You may be able to get all of the necessary parts off of a salvage unit.
WOW !

Someone who actually used WD-40 for it's designed and intended purpose....... BRILLIANT!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
It doesn't say that he was using it to displace water ... maybe just rinsing away "crud."
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote