Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
South , Mississippi
New to me "Kin" Trailer.. Want to test electricity functionality on 15/20 amp circuit

I have an Avalair trailer that I picked up a few months ago. Just now getting around to test everything out. The big hookup cable that was included with the trailer is actually a 50 amp male that splits to four 15/20 amp regular outlets. (Not sure if 15/20 amp plugs look different, but I'm talking about the everyday household outlet here)

The trailer itself actually has [what I think] a 30 amp male. And considering my home is not wired for anything more than 15/20 amps (again... not sure how to tell if it could handle 20 amps), I'd like a 30 amp female to 15/20 amp male adapter.

I actually picked this badboy up from Walmart for $5, but it's NOT the same 30 amp hookup. Plus, even if it were the same style, this adapter is not deep enough to go inside the recessed port on the trailer.

I have attached a couple pictures attached so maybe you guys can tell me which adapter(s) I will need to buy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0031.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	182120   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0033.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	182121  

Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
South , Mississippi
Soo... right after posting this, I noticed on my pictures that it says "HUBBELL" inside that socket. Found out that Hubbell is the inventor of the "twist lock" plugs.

I have found a chart with NEMA adapters on it, but none of them really look like what I've got. Most of the 30 amp adapters with three prongs on the outside don't have the middle [ground?] prong on the inside. And, I guess this could be a 50-amp socket on the trailer, but I'm leaning toward no.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
look at the charts:

NEMA Plug & Receptacle Configurations Reference Chart (Locking)

You will find, near the bottom of the charts, some with the center pin. It appears that they are all obsolete and no longer available.

You probably will have to change out the system to a newer type.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
You may need to do some research on the site below and others, but there may be an adapter for your connector in some marine application:

Search Results at West Marine

Good luck...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
The trailer itself actually has [what I think] a 30 amp male. And considering my home is not wired for anything more than 15/20 amps (again... not sure how to tell if it could handle 20 amps), I'd like a 30 amp female to 15/20 amp male adapter.
From the photos it looks like you indeed have an obsolete connector. I would guess that it's a 30a 240/120v outlet from back in the day.

Your best bet is to replace it with something standard:

Furrion 30A Round Stainless Inlet

Then you can use a standard cable, and the adapter you bought at walmart:

Amazon.com: ParkPower by Marinco 25PCMRV RV PowerCord Electrical Power Cordset (30-Amp, 125-Volt, 25-Feet, Yellow): Sports & Outdoors

If your trailer is large and you anticipate having two air conditioners at some point, or plan to make extensive use of electric heat, you might want a 50a setup, which costs about 3 times as much.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
South , Mississippi
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I exhausted all available NEMA options fairly quickly, so you are all correct that this is [most likely] a "non-NEMA" Hubbell-specific inlet.

On idroba's link to the NEMA chart, I guess this is identified as a 3-pole, 4-wire grounding plug. All those listed are either 50-amp or 60-amp plugs!!

This trailer actually already has 2 air conditioners in it, but honestly, I'd prefer the smallest (5,000 BTU) unit I could find and let it run all day. I likely won't go removing either one, however, because I don't have the window to put back in. Not sure why the previous owners had to put the 2nd air conditioner in and remove the window. It's more efficient to get a small a/c and leave it on max cool every minute of the day, than to let the compressor cycle on and off. (See people using ~800 W generators from Harbor Freight to power their 5,000 BTU window units!) Just removing the humidity is all I need to feel comfortable.

It's got an electric fridge/freezer that's maybe 7 or 8 cu. ft. I've already installed a 2 cu. ft. microwave / convection oven (before ever testing the electrical hookups). And the only other heavy-consumption electronics I'm thinking of installing is either a single- or double-burner induction stove. The other stuff would all be efficient -- LED TV, laptop, cell phones, etc.

Soo.... even with just one air conditioner, would this seem like enough for a 50-amp inlet??

Is there a way to convert Wattage into the proper amperage rating that I'd need?? I have a Kill-a-Watt device to figure most of this out tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Watts = volts x amps or amps = watts/volts

somewhat more complicated for each leg, if you are in fact contemplating a 50 amp 120/240 volt system with two legs.