Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Before you drive to a MB dealer call first to see if they can handle your unit. Our local MB service department cannot handle our 24 Interstate - the rack isn't long enough. So, we use Freightliner. They do a great job.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
It is no fun when things go wrong with your rig. Even my 1969 low tech trailer has its own complexities, the new rigs are really technically complex and depend a lot on clean and constant power to work properly. When I was growing up we had a motorhome for several years and the most common problem with it was the generator. That said, there is really nothing anyone can say to make your bad experience into a good one. I think Sunrus has it right - get to know the coach over time. I made the mistake of taking our recently re-located and unused for 30 years trailer out on our anniversary two years ago without first taking the time to re-acquaint myself with it. We ended up with a water leak in the bath area, a site with no sewer hook up and I had forgotten the trailer did not have a grey water tank and on and on. We ended up coming home after just one night out as a result. Now I pull the trailer over to the house a week ahead of each trip, hook it to city water and electric and leave everything on during the day and test all the systems including water heater, refrigerator, stove, and A/C. I fill the black tank with water and make sure there are no leaks, check lights, tires, brakes, etc.. I expect things to go wrong and when they do I'm ready, and when they don't I'm happy.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
If all else fails you could go to the nearest bar and have a couple bourbons on the rocks....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
Nearby AS Dealer

Don't know where you are in SW Virginia but the NC AS Dealer (Out of Doors Mart) is in Colfax (Greensboro) NC which is maybe three hours from most of SW Va.. While they are not Interstate dealers they may be able to assist you if you can get there. There is also a very complete RV dealership (Camping World) across the highway.

We live just north of that dealership and would be glad to put you up for a couple of nights if you can make it that far.

Will check back to forum to look for your response is necessary.
damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Vermontmary
I agree with Avionstream-- call the dealer and get their help-- they will probably be eager to help if you let them know you're in trouble. I wouldn't try to solve the problem myself or take it to a non Airstream-dealer until I'd talked to the original seller, who most likely wants you to enjoy your new unit, and knows what's covered under the warranty! If you're not satisfied with their response, call Airstream in Jackson Center and they can help find a solution.
I hope your first night wasn't too stressful, and that you are happily in touch with some good assistance by now!
Vermontmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerraarcher View Post
. . .
Any insight would help from anyone.
Welcome to the forum, but sorry it had to be under such trying circumstances!

I am wondering if you have called the dealer, and whether you could update us on your current status?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Also the Sprinter and B-van Forum may contain some earlier threads which could help:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your troubles. This should have been a wonderful experience, and hopefully will be....when these issues are resolved.

I hope you bought it from a reputable dealer....and even if a person to person purchase, it should still have about 2 years on the warranty. My first call would be to the dealership and speak to the service manager. This should not be your responsibility to shoulder alone. The dealership or AIRSTREAM/Mercedez-Benz will honor the warranty. Keep their numbers on your speed dial.

How far away are you from the seller? Do you have Coachnet, (this should come with the purchase)! Call for assistance to them. You do have protection under lemon law...if you were deceived regarding the actual condition. Be proactive! Good luck. Let us hear from you and how your issues were/are resolved.

As said, in other posts, calm yourselves, (try, anyway). Work through the process, step by step, and you will prevail. Then, you two should make the best of a bad situation, and celebrate your anniversary anyway! Then, in future, tell of your "anniversary adventures" with a nice glass of (insert your celebratory beverage here)! God bless.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Sorry to tell you that it is just the way it goes with RV's sometimes! I hope you can look at it as practice for fielding the curve balls that life throws you. The problem is likely 1 or 2 little things that got overlooked or just happened in some combination. Maybe you threw the alternator and compressor belt and the coach disconnect switch switch was left off? Not enough info to tell yet and diagnosing problems long distance is very sketchy. Call the dealer for advice and read the manuals if you have them to try and understand how the systems work. Hopefully you can get to a nearby repair shop. get the problem fixed with a minimum of stress and be on your way! If everything always went perfect you wouldn't have any good campfire stories.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Anybody heard from the OP?
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are still out there the first thing I would do is have someone, any auto service center, check the coach batteries. I suspect they are dead. Newer vehicles have so many things running in background that the batteries often go dead in a matter of weeks while sitting. This is more common with the truck batteries than the coach but still worth checking. The gas monitor may have been the cause.

As for the AC if it was a cool day, very little load on the unit, the coil may have frozen over. If the AC works after you have been shut down for a few hours that would confirm this. This is an indication of a low charge in the AC unit.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
The quote in Post #26 should have gotten her attention IMO. The count of her number of posts in Post #1 is still "1" FYI.

Not a great first anniversary road trip, I am sorry to say.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The quote in Post #26 should have gotten her attention IMO. The count of her number of posts in Post #1 is still "1" FYI.

Not a great first anniversary road trip, I am sorry to say.

She was on the forum Friday evening.