Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
New interior lights

Just wanted to show you my recently completed conversion to halogen lights for the interior dome lights. I got rid of those yellowed four way dome lights, and made new ones from IKEA. The yellow is stained pine with varnish over them, the lights are 12 volts from IKEA ("sexton" if you're curious). They give great quality light and save energy over the fourways.

Next, a new countertop and dinnette table made of pine and stained to match.
Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	2012  
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
from the bedroom

Here's the bedroom. I made a total of three. Sorry it's sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights2.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2013  
Old 05-05-2003, 07:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1968 24' Tradewind
Spokane Valley , Washington
perfect!

Where did you get them? A google search just brings me a UK source.
And where is Rainy? We're in Spokane.

-Robert
robertandjenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Lights

Lights -
I bought the lights from IKEA in Renton, Washington 1800 - 656-2980 or ikea.com. They're the "Sexton" lights. However, there is a plastic "dome" that protrudes out the back approx 3/8". That is why I made the yellow wood ovals to mount them in. They also have flush mount halogen disks that look great also. 12v halogen works either 12 AC (as made for inside the home with a transformer) or 12v DC (which is the direct current from the trailer battery or univolt converter). I cut off the transformer, and wired directly to the old lighting wiring. I used a switch from Radio Shack on each light (the dark plastic dip switch next to the light itself).

I got my ideas from Uwe and Frank R. If you search the forums for "12v" you should get the threads. The hardest part was staining and varnishing the wood ovals, and then figuring out a mounting system.

"Rainy," Washington is almost everytime I step out of the house during the winter (although, in truth, this winter has been quite "balmy") I actually live in Seattle.

If you are interested in the lights, and ikea won't ship, pm me. I'll be out of contact for awhile, and probably wouldn't be able to get to Ikea until June, but I'd be happy to arrange to purchase and ship for you.
Marc
Old 05-05-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
is it ok?

marc

is your trailer ok after it tipped over? nice lights btw!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Tipped?

My shoulders were tired after looking up and drilling up.... those cordless drills do get heavy! I hooked up my trailer, and took a quick swerve around a car...left the Hensley at home to keep the van upright.... tipped the trailer on the side just like I wanted! As a "side" benefit, I stripped all that old Argosy outside paint off the "down" side in one easy step! I just gotta figure out how to tip it to the other side to match the strip / polish that I just did!

Thanks for the complement! When I saw your name posting, I thought, "oh oh, John's gonna tell me I just fried something!"

I used the lights for awhile, I really didn't notice any heat buildup, and there is venting between the lights and the inside skin. I love the light output.
Marc
Old 05-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Nice lights!

I did a similar conversion a few month back. i also used Ikea 12V halogen lights. I am very happy with the conversion, and the lights I used are all but invisible during the day.
The interior skin around the halogen lights stays much cooler than the skin around the bathroom light, which is still the regular 3-bulb design. The lens on the halogen light gets hotter, but the reflector inside the light radiates light and heat away from the trailer skin, and away from the wiring behind the light. I am planning on replacing the remaining downlights with these little halogen lights also.
Another thing is they seem quite reliable, shaking and rattling down the road does not seem to bother these at all.
As Marc mentioned, they do put out more pleasant light at a lower wattage.
Nice job, Marc. I like the oval base plate you made. I also remember the sore arms from working overhead for a few hours.