Old 02-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Billings , Montana
Thanks for all the advice! I like all these ideas. I think I'm going to plan for an inverter someday (like solar) but not add it right away. I definitely want all the creature comforts if we are staying at Joe's RV by the side of the interstate, but when we're boondocking (I learned the term) I think we'll be outside. But this is exactly why I'm on the forums! I want to plan for future options. Maybe I'll find out that an inverter is valuable to me, so I want to plan well.

I spent a while today researching costs. 50 amp service will end up costing me around $700 and 30 amp service will cost around $400. That's a sizable chunk, but not so big that it's outrageous. Neither of those dollar figures includes the wire for the runs out of the panel; its just the AC&DC panels, a 60amp converter, and an appropriate inlet and cordset. If I don't spend the extra $300 bucks and go with 50 amp, I wonder if in 10 years I'll wish I had done it the first time. I'm doing all my own installation, too, so that saves me labor costs. (I will hire an electrician for professional inspection, though. I'm not totally foolish.)

micaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
These other fine posters reminded me of a couple other things...

Install at least one outdoor plug in the middle of the awning area. Putting up a stand-up fan can really make the difference on a hot summer day. We also like to bring the flat screen outside at night and watch movies by the camp fire when we host a big camping trip.

Also by the door is a "transom shower", great for a refreshing cold shower, or rinsing off muddy feet/paws. But that's plumbing, another thread!

IMHO, installing a converter and charger would be like putting an 8-track tape in for your entertainment! A good inverter/charger does it all, plus a lot more. But that's me...

You'll find as many camping styles as there are posters here. Because I mostly do long weekends, I want as little disruption to my routine as possible. Heavy dependence on shore power/city water does not make for good boondocking.

So go camping in that Airstream as soon as you can, done or not! Set up camping gear in there (it's still better than any tent), and get you and your crew used to the space. It's great fun to sit around and dream about how fine your rig will be, and how those Class-A guys will gnash their teeth at the coolness that they can never attain! A word of warning: these "design sessions" can dramatically deplete the beverage locker, be sure to lay in an ample supply

Of course all 'Streamers are welcome to come camp down here in Paradise! We are organizers for the Florida Paddlers and Trekkers Meetup Group, and the Airstream is Party Central at the campgrounds we go to! Check our calendar for the trips we're taking throughout the state, maybe hook up somewhere?

SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
I like your style

Stanley29 is offline   Reply With Quote