Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Agree with the last two posts from Robert and Jay. I would use Robert's voltages because of Jay's comment. My batteries are never at rest. They typically have a 4A load from the store/use switch in the "on" position, refrigerator on propane, water heater on propane, and two fantastic fans running. If the fantastic fans aren't running, the propane furnace is probably set at 72 degrees. Under these load conditions, I would use Robert's voltage table to determine my state of charge.

It said that determining battery state of charge is like "dancing on the head of a pin". There are just too many variables such as battery temperature, battery condition, and battery state of rest to make an accurate determination. And I don't feel a Victron 712 is going to make that determination any more accurate: https://marinehowto.com/programming-a-battery-monitor/

I'm willing to treat my $200 set of 6V golf cart batteries like propane exchange tanks and replace them when they run out of juice. So far, my Duracell 6V golf cart batteries have lasted through 140 nights of deep discharges and still test and perform as new. That's only $1.42 per night, which drops with each additional night of use. That makes my daily battery cost less than my daily cost of propane. I'm not going to let a few pennies per night cause me to be uncomfortable and start turning off things at 12.2V. I'll just go get new 6V golf cart batteries when mine die just like I do with my propane exchange tanks.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Sugar Land , Texas
We ended up taking both batteries to Interstate and they replaced both batteries as each of them
Had bad cells. Strange for such a
New install..
smeserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It is certainly disappointing to have to replace the batteries. If it was done under warranty you just got a really good deal and a clean start. If you had to pay it was "worth it" to get it cleared up and off to a good start.

It is not strange or unusual to have bad batteries in new trailers. My observations from reading this forum for a while is that dealers just do not have a good history with batteries. Those parasitic drains are running when the trailer is sitting on the dealers lot too. I bet many new batteries are drained all the way down to zero and allowed to sit for a long time like that.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote