Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
Talking New AS and 50 Amp service at home

Howdy all! We are having 50amp receptacle installed at home for our 1970 Safari. The previous owner stripped the interior except for the bathroom. The add stated that it had "new floor, new electric and new plumbing installed". Well the linoleum is new and we can see some new wires and some new pex plumbing. Don't know how extensively all of this "new" stuff was done. I was kind of astounded that the AS is outfitted with a 50 amp cord instead of the normal 30 amp. Heck, when we bought it I didn't know 50amp from the man in the moon! I didn't even know it had a power cable at all until we had it home for a couple of weeks because we were so overwhelmed with finally owning a vintage AS. We didn't know where to look for any of the umbilicals that accompany a travel trailer. Well, we are learning a bunch on this forum and by reading Tim Shepard's book "Restoring a Dream". The electrician who is doing the 50 amp service said that our AS was probably upgraded to 50 amp b/c the previous owner installed an electric demand water heater. He said it probably draws 30amps by itself when in use. Our unit has an air conditioner (condition unknown), some kind of power converter, a pump for the fresh water which is sitting on the floor, the normal 12v overhead lights and fans. All LP plumbing, tanks and even the tank mount was removed! The PO said that LP gas frightened her (sigh). Anyway, I managed to rewire the tow hookup to work everything on that side (just had to switch a few wires around) and was amazed that all of the interior lights came on when I plugged it into the TV. I spent an entire afternoon installing one exterior LED running light. That little bugger was a pain! The Blazer LED light has no clearance on the backside for the wires to tuck underneath so I had to Bubba dremel some space for the wires and connectors to tuck in far enough for the assembly to fit flush with the AS surface skin. I have since found an LED double bullseye from etrailer.com that has a cavity on the backside that will accommodate the wires and the compact butt connector which they sell for that application. Make sure you get the compact connector as a normal connector has too much thickness at the ends to fit flush underneath. I should get those next week. I feel like I'm writing my own book, sorry for the long winded post. Anyway, as far as towing...we read that the typical AS axle is only good for so many years and then will take a set and not provide proper suspension movement. Sure enough ours is dead. We ordered an axle assembly from Andy at Inland RV and are waiting for notification of shipment. We already have a shop that does RV work locally agree to install the axle assembly. I have read many posts on this forum of guys doing their own install but with only a gravel driveway to work on I opted to hire it out. We purchased new Yokohama MasterTrack PowerTouring tires. ST225 75R 15 Load E rating Speed Q rating 10 ply at 80 psi cold on the original steel wheel with hubcaps. I have read all of the INTENSE discussions about using ST vs LT tires but I am pretty confident that the Yokohamas that we bought should safely do the job.
I am in the process of repairing the entry door (KT latch assembly). It need some parts which I am in the process of researching availability and price. There are several places that list the pieces that I require but the price differences are significant. I have found that OutOfDoorsMart seems to have reasonable availability and pricing so far. I had to drill some of the interior door skin rivets out to remove the door latch assembly but didn't have any trouble removing it. I could just buy a whole new assembly for $500 ! Hah.
So having written this lengthy post I am happy to announce that we are having a PowerParty this evening when switching on the 50 amp service for the very first time in our Safari. It will either be a very large and hot weeny roast or a wonderful debut to our Airstreaming happiness! I will try to keep you all posted good, bad, or other. Tom
twh731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Well, the electrician has come and gone and everything looks good as far as their work goes. The cable to the AS just barely plugs into the box as the cable is only about 10 feet long. Plugged it in and switched on the power and flipped the breakers in the AS and we have interior lights, fans and the fresh water pump turned on. I can hear the converter clicking on and off occasionally. Don't know if that's normal or not. There are no batteries in the AS at all so don't know exactly how those would hook into the whole system. When we get our axle installed we will take the AS somewhere to have the entire thing inspected by someone who is expert in the AS systems. The airconditioner made not a sound...no hum, clunk, or clank. I presume it's dead but I don't see any kind of thermostat or switch for it. I will have to figure out where to check the voltage to it to see if it's even got power to it. The A/C cover on the roof is totally rotten and open so maybe it has been subjected to too much of the environment and nature has taken it's toll. Anyway, there were no flames or smoke so that is a good thing.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The A/C unit may not be hooked up. I would think the fan would run if the compressor didn't. It's probably low or out of freon anyway. I think there's a low pressure switch that keeps it off if it's low.

If there's no thermostat I wonder how the furnace works, or doesn't.
Are there any breakers or fuses that you can check? If it's been off for a while I'd have someone look at it before trying to fire it up. You may do damage by starting it.

Sounds like you folk are off on an adventure. You're brave to be doing this, sounds like a lot of work to be done. Good luck
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Rich, there isn't a furnace or heater of any kind in the unit. It was all stripped out except for the bathroom and water tanks. There is some kind of converter hooked into the wiring which we can hear click on and off when plugged in. Don't know if that's normal or not. The converter looks pretty old and the wires going to it looks like colorful spaghetti. There is a breaker box in the bathroom cabinet which seems to turn power on the various items that do work. The interior lights and fans work and the fresh water pump. I will take the interior cover off the A/C unit tonight to see if I can access any wiring connections there, but may have to climb on top of the AS to test the wires. Don't know where I will be able to access them since I have never worked on one before. I won't be actually working on it. I will either find an obvious wiring problem or have someone else who knows them work on it. I have to say that I am uncomfortable climbing on top just b/c I don't want to create any dents or body damage. I am going to watch some you tube videos of people getting on top of their AS units so that I have a bit more confidence with it. Thanks for your reply and good luck wishes! Tom