Old 08-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Squaw Valley , California
New A/C Wiring

We are planning to put a roof top a/c unit on our '46 General and are ready to get some wiring started. I have a dedicated 15 amp breaker on a 30 amp hook up.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to place the wires and is the 15 amp breaker enough? We plan to use a 15,000 btu Penguin unit. I know I have to route a drain line also. Am I missing anything?

Thanks
Bob

Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I would check the amp requirements of the a/c unit. It should tell you if you need a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Have you run the wiring from the braker box to the a/c unit yet? If not, I would use 12 Guage wire and not 14 guage. Then if you do need a 20 amp breaker, you're covered. My 2 cents.

Chris

Old 08-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
Talking my two cents

20 amp breaker and 12 gauge wire, minimum. The wires can be run inside the walls as well as the drain, but that will take some doing-rmvl of interior walls is not an easy task. But, the wires could be run along the inside in a panduit (brand name) type of raceway, or wire mold or? I do not know where the breaker box is on your unit, but a conduit type of raceway along the very top of the inside ceiling will not be visually perfect, but certainly acceptable, as well as keeping it easy to run, and out of your head room-plus, no monkeying around routing through cabinets, etc. you need to visit a local electrical supply house to see what products are available-if they will not sell to you direct then, and only then contact an electrician. The big box stores may have something that will fill the bill, but I doubt it. Now on the drain, my pea brain says that water you keep outside will not cause problems inside. An outside drain may appear hideous, but it will keep the condensate outside. besides, if you're gonna mess with the smooth roof by putting the A/C up there, then a clear condensate line over the edge shouldn't be a big deal, either. That way, maintenance is a snap. I have overlooked the obvious, how are you mounting the A/C? I do not know what your roof support looks like. If a major remodel is in order just to mount the A/C then, runnning stuff in the walls would be best.
be cool
Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
wmarsha - Thanks for the info. We are doing a complete rebuild of the trailer which meant removing all exterior aluminum and interior birchwood. The wood body frame is 90% new and while we were at it we added extra roof bracing for the a/c unit. My plan was to run the wiring inside the walls and also the condensation tube. The tube will run through an interior wall and probably dump through a wheel well to the ground.

20 amp breaker and 12 guage wire sounds like the right way to go. All electrical will be new anyway. I have 10 guage from the service in to the breaker box. I can use that since I already have it. I guess I can just leave a foot or two next to the opening so there's enough to hook up the a/c with.

Bob
Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
bob that sounds fantastic. as i was telling one of the mods, i have had my trailer only two months and already am thinking of a shorter model in a complete rebuild mode. Two suggestions: If you use the 10 gauge; then see if you cannot mount some kind of terminal strip near the A/C. terminate the 10 ga there (very stiff unless you are using fine stranded wire-which you really shouldn't be) then you can run a finely stranded #12 over to the a/c unit. Also, if you can, put your condensate tube inside another larger smooth tube (like poly pipe) then if you ever need to replace the drain tube-you can just slide it out and a new one in.
Keep the forum posted with some photos.
enjoy the ride!
bill
Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Bill,

Thanks again for the info. I'm using 10 guage solid wire romex up to the a/c unit. I have not purchased the unit yet so I'm not too sure how the wiring connects but the ceiling will not be in place so I'll have room to work on it. The condensation tubing in a tube idea is good too. I'll have to see if I can fit it in.

I updated my information with a link to our photo web page that has our restoration pictures. It's linked off of our user name to the left.

Bob