Old 04-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

An update.

The new light is in under the front storage bins, and the new 30 watt fixture for the ceiling should be in on Friday. The 15 watt fluorescent under the bins absolutely washes out the airline style lamps in the corners above the couch. It provides plenty of reading light.

I would like to find something in a halogen eyeball spot to put in the corners. To date I know of no source.

Note: The light in the ceiling at the center top is a temporary expedient until the 30 watt unit arrives. I had to have something to see by.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nearlythere.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	5947  

Old 04-13-2004, 10:22 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Check out this source for 12 Volt lights. Lots to choose from

http://www.swego.com

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
sailersams.com also www.outwater.com around page 500 in their cataloge. tincanluv might want to check out the latter for adhesive plastic backed metal embossed sheets. s. suz
Old 04-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
sailersams.com
Turned out to be www.sailorsams.com. Thanks for the lead. I had Swego bookmarked and had forgotten. There are a couple of possibles there.

The difference with all the new fluorescents is startling. The old lights are undervolted at 12v, and cast a very yellow light. The fluorescents are a cold light, but everything is a more natural color, and are so much brighter!

Mark
Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

sorry for missing the www part. I was very tired last night but I wanted you to know about that source, since they have the halogen eyeball spotlight. s suz
Old 04-14-2004, 09:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
sorry for missing the www part.
Most browsers will assume the "www" tag. The problem was "sailor", not "sailer". Actually that was not really a problem - I figured it out.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-14-2004, 01:39 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

: ) : ) : 0 well that's an indication of how tired I was!!! both times... glad you figured it out without my help! silver suz
Old 04-18-2004, 07:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

AND THERE WAS LIGHT!

I'll not post the photo here again (see http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=10640 if interested), but I got all the light I need and want as follows:

One 16 watt recessed ceiling fluorescent for the bedroom, another for the hall (photos above), one 30 watt surface mount fluorescent for the lounge area in the ceiling between the vent and the a/c; and one 15 watt surface mount under the bins above the couch in the front.

All lights were direct replacements of incadescents, except the one above the couch.

I removed over 100 watts of dim, yellow lights, and installed 75 watts of bright, white light. I now have light to see by, read by, eat by, change clothes by, and ... uh, and so forth. There is still one pair of incadescents over the galley counter, and two pairs in the bath, but other than being inefficient, they are not a problem. I may deal with them later, but they are not really an issue.

Anyone plagued with the old, ineffecient, ineffective incadescent lights which were installed in Airstreams for decades should really consider this conversion. Seldom has so little accomplished so much.

Mark