Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Need to find A/C wiring on 22 ft Argosy

After attending a rally in 95 degree heat, and simmering in our aluminum soup can, I am going to add Air Conditioning to our 1973 22ft Argosy. I was reading on other posts that with the VIN, someone may know where it is prewired. Our VIN is 2203V1606.

Also, any other tips on what I may run into or how to do this would be much appreciated. Cutting a hole in my roof scares the crap out of me, but so does attending another 95 degree rally.

Thank you.
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You should have a 120 volt outlet in the roof of your Argosy, near where the A/C should go. The unit's leading edge should be located a set distance from rib 0, and will be comparable to the same age Safari trailers. Both of my service manuals are in the trailer, I'll try to get over there and grab one today.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
110 runs down the left side and 12 volt runs down the right side on all of them I have seen.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
I do not have a 110 outlet in my ceiling, so I still need a location, if anybody knows.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy man
I do not have a 110 outlet in my ceiling, so I still need a location, if anybody knows.

Thanks!
I do not have a chart for the Argosy trailers.

The chart for the 1973 trailers show 71 inches rearward of station "0" on a 21 foot Airstream trailer and 95 inches rearward of station "0" on a 23 foot Airstream trailer.

Your wires for the AC should be between those two dimension.

Also, the wires should be a little rearward of the center of the axle, as well as possibly a ceiling vent.

Station "0" is the first forward main bow. Also the forward edge of the awning rail is also station "0".

Plot that out on your Argosy and see how close they jive.

Please let us know.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Thanks a lot Andy. One way or another I will be finding them this weekend, and I will post the exact location back here.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Well Andy, you were right on the button. The pigtail for the prewired Air Conditioning was right behind the bow located at 71" rearward of station "0". Thanks, with your location and pictures of other 22ft Argosy trailers with A/C to look at, is was pretty easy to find.

We ended up having to frame in the opening with curved frames on the front and rear. This kept the shape of the roof, and forced the gasket to conform to the roof rather than vice-versa.

Every thing looks great, and I just have one question left. I have no power to the A/C. When I look in the owners manual, the power is controlled by a circuit breaker on the 120 volt panel (but with no pictures). My curcuit panel has one breaker and one blank spot where another could fit. I am guessing I just need to add another curcuit breaker to the box for the A/C, is that right?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Yes, Kemosabe - you pick right trail.

Pull the cover off the breaker box; I'll bet you'll find a wire waiting to be hooked to a breaker.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy man
Well Andy, you were right on the button. The pigtail for the prewired Air Conditioning was right behind the bow located at 71" rearward of station "0". Thanks, with your location and pictures of other 22ft Argosy trailers with A/C to look at, is was pretty easy to find.

We ended up having to frame in the opening with curved frames on the front and rear. This kept the shape of the roof, and forced the gasket to conform to the roof rather than vice-versa.

Every thing looks great, and I just have one question left. I have no power to the A/C. When I look in the owners manual, the power is controlled by a circuit breaker on the 120 volt panel (but with no pictures). My curcuit panel has one breaker and one blank spot where another could fit. I am guessing I just need to add another curcuit breaker to the box for the A/C, is that right?
Sometimes it is necessary to pull the breaker box away from the wall.

Airstream usually dead ended, the beginning of the AC wire, behind the breaker panel.

You may have to enlarge the hole behind the breaker box to find that wire.

You will have to add a 20 amp breaker to the panel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
This forum is great. Thank you to everybody for all the help, it really helped this project go smooth. I won't have to try to weasel my way into other peoples trailers that have A/C next time it hits 95 degrees