Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Need step light holder for 1991 Excella Classic

Broke mine trying to get it out to repair a rusted out bulb holder. Now cannot seem to find one. Tried out of doors mart and they say sorry they are no longer available. Has anyone had same problem. My thought is try to replace with something as close as possible. Screw holds holding the holder in are 4" center to center. holder is about 2-1/4" wide. Has any one else had similar problem. Thanks a bunch!
griffithj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If the exterior chrome portion of the light is still acceptable looking I would find an LED module to put inside of where the bulb went. Hard wire the LED module in place.

Out of Doors mart still shows that a new lens is available for this light.

For a LED module check out https://www.superbrightleds.com/
or
http://www.m4products.com/
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Don't fool around with the antiquated version of this light, search for a new sealed LED version it won't rust never burn out and will impose zero electrical draw.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Here you go....

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...IaAo24EALw_wcB
Old 10-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I posted too quickly... Disregard my above post.
You want a truck lite series 44 replacement. About $60
Old 10-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
crispyboy. thanks for the response. Unfortunately I damaged chrome holder while trying to get the rusted bulb out. will have to have a new fixture which appears to be no longer manufactured by anyone. I appreciate the links to the LED bulb sources. Jim
Old 10-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks. Completely agree. Right now just looking for something that will fit. The two screws holding the old chrome fixture in place are exactly 4" c to c; and fixture is 2 1/4" wide. Opening is more or less rectangular but likely have to have exterior light fixture that will cover roughly 4" hole in the aluminum side.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Thank you AtomicNo13. I did look at the link. I do need something that will cover the hole; up to about 4". Appeared the lights they sell are all surface light unless I missed something. I tried to post a picture of my light but can't seem to figure out how to attach it. Plan to keep trying. I do appreciate you thoughts and effort to steer me in the right direction. Jim
Old 10-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
photo of light step light damaged.

hope this works. not sure how to upload photo.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Hmmm. Post a photo. All of the lights are available, just need to know for certain which one you need!
Old 10-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
I just replaced the step and dump lights with this exact replacement from Amazon: AP Products 005068NM Multi-Purpose Light. Mine are inset into a rectangular piece of aluminum with a properly sized hole for this fixture. Pry the old light out and insert the new one. Simple fix.

Only caveat: they’re an add-on from Amazon. I needed to purchase something totaling $25. Oh darn!

Tried ones from autozone, but they only had one lead. The AP product came with two leads.

A picture of my original step light:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqstykrux6..._3257.JPG?dl=0
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
photo

Thank you very much Hikingsolo. Unfortunately my light fixture is rectangular. I do not mind resizing the hole if I can find a light that will cover a minimum of 4" diameter. I could find no spec for the light your referenced but did request info from them about the light. Still trying to figure out how to upload a photo but so far my computer skills are not where they need to be! will keep trying and thanks again.

trying again to attach a photo. Hope I got it figured??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2857.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	324620  
Old 10-07-2018, 11:57 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
got it done it appears. Thanks for the advice. Jim
Old 10-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Ah! Yours are the Jensen Porch/Compartment lights to the sides of the door. I also have them up front on either side of the front storage compartment in my 34. Unfortunately I was unable to locate full replacements, but I did find replacement lenses from Specialty Recreation, El Cajon, California. 619-593-9360. They bought the entire line of replacement fixtures some time back. I only asked about replacement lenses, so It’s possible they have the fixture as well. The lens part number was P1328. Some other numbers that might be useful are P1327 and 797401613273, although I’m not entirely sure why I wrote those down. Before calling Specialty Recreation I had called Fasteners Unlimited, the original supplier of the parts to Airstream, 800-531-5039. They directed me to Specialty Recreation.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Hikingsolo; Thank you for this feedback. I have begun trying to research the names and numbers you supplied; and will post the results of my search. What is broken seems to be as much a porch type light more than just a step light. The step lights are generally smaller in diameter and down by the step. My step has one of those lights there also. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ok, now im clear on the actual light you need.
Youre looking for the "porch light", not a scare light, not a step light!

These are infact obsolete, so they are difficult to source.
The factory store in Jackson center has them in stock, as does Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina.
These dont come cheap, $29 per unit. Upon reinstallation, do yourself a big favor for the future....
Install an LED bulb, and seal the clear lens so water wont enter the housing and rot the bulb holder.

Additionally for those interested there are zero clear replacement lenses available for these, they are all gone, I bought several pairs for the future.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
No Longer Available NLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithj View Post
Thank you very much Hikingsolo. Unfortunately my light fixture is rectangular.

This light fixture is No Longer Available NLA or at least it is form any and all sources I can find. Once the distributors ran out I looked into the company that supply s them and they have gone dark. They are not on the web where they use to be.
The lens is NLA also. I suggest anyone who has this fixture, and there are many, to check the lens and see if it is loose. If it is loose it will fall out at some point. I would suggest getting some clear silicone and putting a lite bead around the lens to attach it to the light fixture. I suggest enough so it will stay in and little enough so you can get it off if you need to.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
This light fixture is No Longer Available NLA or at least it is form any and all sources I can find. Once the distributors ran out I looked into the company that supply s them and they have gone dark. They are not on the web where they use to be.
The lens is NLA also. I suggest anyone who has this fixture, and there are many, to check the lens and see if it is loose. If it is loose it will fall out at some point. I would suggest getting some clear silicone and putting a lite bead around the lens to attach it to the light fixture. I suggest enough so it will stay in and little enough so you can get it off if you need to.
Dan: appreciate the input. you are correct about the fixture. so far I hit a wall as far as anyone having a fixture. For those interested I think I talked with some one with out of doors mart. 866-6366-2267. said they may have a few lenses but no fixtures. I think these lights are called porch lights? Anyway I broke my fixture trying to pry it out with all the caulk they put in it. Had I only knew the grief my impatience would cause!! The fixture breaks very easily. Anyway I have two lenses although they are a bit yellow; still work. You give good advice. Looks like I am looking for an alternate for the roughly 2" wide by 4" hole. Wandering if the new airstream porch lights might work but have not had time to follow up on it. Don't want something that will blind someone walking up to the trailer. Thanks again. Jim
Old 10-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Atomic.

just noticed your reply. you are right. I called Out of Doors mart following you post and was told they might have a few lens as I told Dan. I think I am destined for an alternate fixture. The Vintage Trailer 4 1/2" shielded flush light may be a possibility. Have not ordered yet though. LED is definitely only way to go. FYI, not that it mattes, but on my unit the two porch lights and the step light are all on same switch inside. Flood light is on separate switch. Thanks for response. Jim
Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
vintage trailer 4 1/2" shielded porch light

Not sure where to post what I am coming down to but I am posting it as reply to AtomicNo13

The availability of this light is zilch. I am looking at a couple of lights sold by Vintage Trailer supply; one a 4-1/2" shield flush mount light (VTS-318). their specs say it is great for indoors but also can be used exterior. Hole cut out is only 3" diameter which I like and the brightness doesn't appear to be too much for a porch light.

the other light they sell and highly recommend is VTS-161 which to me is more a replacement for the "globe" light on the outside; quite bright and definitely exterior use. Takes a minimum of 4" round hole in the metal.

Just curious if anyone has had experience with the Shielded Flush Light by Vintage Trailer supply.

Well I think I just got my question answered by calling nice lady at Vintage Trailer. She said they do recommend the VTS -318 for exterior light. The VTS-161 also is good but much brighter. One can purchase a blue lens for it which reduces the brightness; but to me that is more for a globe light replacement. Anyway I think I am going to try the VTS 318. Thanks though for all the comments. I am jumping. hope the parachute opens and I land safely! Jim