Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
The whole issue could be low power at the campground. There may only be 15 amps at the 30 amp plug.

The E7 code is the 110 volt controls not the AC compressor.
You get the E7 code if the main breaker trips, due to exceeding 30 amps. Because you then lose the 120 V feed.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A cheaper an more effective solution would be to install a goo voltmeter in a receptacle you can watch. Checking the voltage available as you first plug into at a campground will give you a good indication of what is to come. While I said cherper I do not mean buy a cheap voltmeter.

If you see voltage below 105 volts never even attempt to use your AC as it will do damage to the unit. Other electrical systems can be used but will draw additional amps and may add up to a tripped breaker.

Low power is not measured in amps but rather voltage. As voltage drops amperage goes up and causes breakers to trip.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
A cheaper an more effective solution would be to install a goo voltmeter in a receptacle you can watch. Checking the voltage available as you first plug into at a campground will give you a good indication of what is to come. While I said cherper I do not mean buy a cheap voltmeter.

If you see voltage below 105 volts never even attempt to use your AC as it will do damage to the unit. Other electrical systems can be used but will draw additional amps and may add up to a tripped breaker.

Low power is not measured in amps but rather voltage. As voltage drops amperage goes up and causes breakers to trip.

You are correct about everything but your last statement.

Ohms law I=E/R

I=current in amps
E= Electrical Potential in volts
R= Resistance in ohms

As voltage falls so does current for a given resistance (load). When the compressor motor kicks in the additional resistance causes current to fall.
but the additional amperage load can exceed the capacity of the breaker causing it to trip.

Breakers pop due to too much current not too little voltage.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
I'm a big fan of this thing.

EMS-HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display

Not only protects the AS from Surges and bad juju (juice), but gives a readout of voltage, frequency and current draw. Also gives you an error code if it trips off your power to give you a clue for where to look for the problem. eg it gave me an open ground code. Found I had a bad connection to an extension cord I was using.

The amp readout is also very helpful. I use it to see if I need to shut things off before using the Microwave or the AC.

Another plus. If the protection circuits are destroyed protecting your stuff, the circuit boards are replaceable.
I really like this idea. Surge protection, inside readouts, etc. Any recommendations on where to mount on a Airstream 27FB Eddie Bauer? The install looks simple enough.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We have the older non-lcd readout surge guard ... wouldn't plug in without it!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post

I really like this idea. Surge protection, inside readouts, etc. Any recommendations on where to mount on a Airstream 27FB Eddie Bauer? The install looks simple enough.
I'm not sure on yours. On mine I mounted it right next to the power panel/ converter under the lounge.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
I'm not sure on yours. On mine I mounted it right next to the power panel/ converter under the lounge.
I believe the converter is under the master bed in the front of the 27FB. I will look for a spot to mount it there- prior to entering the converter.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
In our 27FB the converter is under the curbside pantry behind the circuit breaker / fuse panel. Our factory installed 600watt inverter is mounted curbside under the bed and accessed via the forward storage compartment hatch and under the lifted bed platform.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I'm in the same boat as jasperkins - ready to go out and buy the hardwired surge/voltage protection unit from Progressive industries. I've downloaded the PDF and the installation instructions left me a little unsure if I want to try this myself. In my FC 30 the fuse panel/converter etc are below the fridge mid coach. Inverter is all the way at the front by the couch - I can't imagine putting anything up there. Any advice on where to start if I want to install myself?

While I can hire a lot of things done I am getting to the point after 4 months of ownership that I would rather do everything myself - better than giving someone else the chance to mess up the AS!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
If you can get to the back of the converter where the shore power line comes in to the transfer relay and you have room to mount the unit it is really pretty easy. Take the shore power line out of the relay. Connect it to the EMS. Use a piece of 10/3 wire and connect the EMS back to the relay.

Easy.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just sayin'....

An issue to consider for the permanently mounted box. A previous poster mentioned that the internal boards can be replaced if there is a surge. Great. If the boards are fried, then one is working in an unlighted, no power available unit somewhere else than at home. That would mean carrying several spare boards sets all the time and lots of flashlights...

The same outfit sells an external unit that also functions as a sacrificial anode in case of a surge. If it does it's job, the trailer wiring is still functional from a generator or different power pedestal. While not inexpensive , a spare would keep the lights on if a better source of power could be found.

Thus the need for an inexpensive circuit tester to be used first before plugging in any power cable or surge protector.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Thus the need for an inexpensive circuit tester to be used first before plugging in any power cable or surge protector.
I ordered the portable version mostly because I have a very healthy respect for electricity (about which I know nothing) and feel pretty confident about plugging it in at the post :-)

I was under the impression it tests for everything you would test with your circuit tester before sending power to the trailer. If so, why do you recommend a circuit tester before plugging in the portable version? Or - are you recommending a circuit tester before plugging in a dedicated surge protector? Thanks!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #27
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
OK, I think I am going with the Portable "at the post" model. I installed a water pump this morning and while it went well and I won't say it pushed me to my limits in electrical skills (two wires!), I think I will stop here. A man has got to know his limitations. Rich
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
While I like the idea of simple- which the Portable offers. The security risk concerns me. Even with the plastic box that keeps honest people honest- a hammer or bolt cutter can slice thru my expensive cable.

I was looking at the 27FB and there is LOTS of space under the wardrobe. Also it appears I can get to below the inverter in the kitchen if I remove a few screws. However I am still not sure where to mount it.

Does anyone on the forum have a 27FB and has installed Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C? Where is the recommended place to install?