Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Oak Ridge , Tennessee
Need help with storage charging

Hello. We own a 2004 25' international CCD. I have a covered shed that I store it in and am doing some electrical upgrades to the building. I'm not sure what I need as far as a good overall charging and battery maintenance system. My plan is to run a 30 amp plug that will be hardwired above and drop to the left side camper service entrance. Is that all I need? I have read a little about battery tenders, and am confused as to whether I need one. I have the original converter/charger in the camper. If I do need one, can it go inline with the 30amp service and do it's job? I don't typically take the batteries out, but am open to doing that and having a separate battery storage/charging area in the shed. Now is my chance to get this kinda the way I want and need it so all input is appreciated. And please suggest other items I might need. Thanks in advance!
billhenry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
battery minder is a great little charger that will never overload you battery and desulfates it too. Ive used one for 10 years or more
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Been using Deltran for years on the Boat & '53' Ford, excellent products.

Up until last Season I always took the AS AGM Lifelines out and maintained the charge indoors on a Vector DSC.
Got lazy,(old), last Fall, left them in and monitored the SOC, fired up the IOTA IQ4 Converter as needed @ 12.2v.

IMHO a multi-stage converter up-grade is a worthwhile, relatively inexpensive DIY job. 👍

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I installed a battery disconnect, then attached a dongle for a NoCo Genius charger 3500.
My storage yard has 30 amp power at each site, but I only use it when I want the trailer powered.
Using an adaptor for 30 amp to 15 amp, I run an extension cord to the battery box and leave the charger laying inside the box.
I've probably owned 6 Deltran products, and over time they've always failed. Maybe it's the lightning storms we have here, so I decided to try the NoCo. Deltran has a lifetime warranty, but they charge to look at it, plus shipping, so getting one that lasts would be good.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
What MollysDad says.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I would like to add on to the OP Question.

If have a three stage unit, do I leave it plugged In?

Secondly, do I put it on STORE or USE mode while plugged in?
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote