Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Vestavia , Alabama
Need help w/ my '70 I just purchased - Running and tail lights

This is my first RV purchase and I need help with the tail/brake lights and other running lights. I had a faulty battery and have replaced that as well as checked my towing vehicle to ensure the power from my vehicle is working, and none of the lights still work.

Any help is appreciated in advance. It would be nice to find a "fix all" fix/fuse/switch that would help vs. me having to splice off of the out from my tow vehicle. All the lights do not work. I also have no idea if any of the other towing accessories work like brakes, battery charger, etc...
Aubiexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The first thing I would do is to make sure you have a good ground/common connection.
Then I would use a battery charger to test and trouble shoot all of the lighting on the trailer.
I will assume you have a 7 pin plug.
Start by connecting the black lead of your battery charger to a clean spot on the tongue of the trailer, scrape that spot to where it is shiny metal.
Then take the red lead and touch each of the pins one at a time and look to see if any lights come on.. The center may not be connected to anything and one of the 6 around the outer circle of pins is the ground/common wire.
On the trailer plug one pin will be for the tail and clearance or marker lights. There will be a pin for each of the turn signals (left and right); these will also be the brake lights. The fourth pin will be for trailer brakes; The fifth pin will be the charge line to the battery in the trailer. The sixth pin will be common/ground.
If you have a helper to watch the lights it makes it easier.
The chances are good that your trailer is not wired to match your TV. A different standard was used back then. So you will need to determine what is what on the trailer and then change it to match your TV.
If you have a VOM meter and know how to use it. The job will be easier.
We are here to help so tell us what you do or don't find and then we can guide you thru to a successful job.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Vestavia , Alabama
That worked perfectly. Thank you. Now I guess I need to see why they aren't working when hooked to my Tow Vehicle. Looking forward to this forum.
Aubiexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubiexx View Post
This is my first RV purchase and I need help with the tail/brake lights and other running lights. I had a faulty battery and have replaced that as well as checked my towing vehicle to ensure the power from my vehicle is working, and none of the lights still work.

Any help is appreciated in advance. It would be nice to find a "fix all" fix/fuse/switch that would help vs. me having to splice off of the out from my tow vehicle. All the lights do not work. I also have no idea if any of the other towing accessories work like brakes, battery charger, etc...
Most iportant project is to make the coach weatherproof.

Unless they have been replaced, all the exterior gaskets should be cracked, which allows water to leak into the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I believe that your trailer is wired like my '74 Argosy. Here is how I wired the 7 pin plug on my trailer. I have a '98 Dodge truck which is wired to todays standard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 PinTrailer Plug Wiring.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	134037  
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
staten island , New York
Hi all, I'm having a similar issue with my 74 land yacht. Where might i chek to see that i do have a good ground. Last time i checked the outside lights they worked but we have been renovating so maybe something got cut, chopped, removed, who knows
thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The first thing I would do is to make sure you have a good ground/common connection.
Then I would use a battery charger to test and trouble shoot all of the lighting on the trailer.
I will assume you have a 7 pin plug.
Start by connecting the black lead of your battery charger to a clean spot on the tongue of the trailer, scrape that spot to where it is shiny metal.
Then take the red lead and touch each of the pins one at a time and look to see if any lights come on.. The center may not be connected to anything and one of the 6 around the outer circle of pins is the ground/common wire.
On the trailer plug one pin will be for the tail and clearance or marker lights. There will be a pin for each of the turn signals (left and right); these will also be the brake lights. The fourth pin will be for trailer brakes; The fifth pin will be the charge line to the battery in the trailer. The sixth pin will be common/ground.
If you have a helper to watch the lights it makes it easier.
The chances are good that your trailer is not wired to match your TV. A different standard was used back then. So you will need to determine what is what on the trailer and then change it to match your TV.
If you have a VOM meter and know how to use it. The job will be easier.
We are here to help so tell us what you do or don't find and then we can guide you thru to a successful job.
dcorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Mine is grounded at the 7-way trailer terminal location. I used a 7-way tester to test the tow vehicle, the cord, and the trailer. I tested all three components separately. I used a small battery charger, a jumper light, and a small multi meter. When I had everything all working separately I plugged the cord into the tow vehicle. I had two wires reversed in the cord. I reversed those two wires and everything worked to a standard 7-way plug.

I have three other trailers that use the same two tow vehicles and all are interchangeable. Plug and go.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote