Old 07-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Problem Solved

New battery, no problem. I've also installed a battery cutoff switch to prevent overcharging the battery. Now I'm off to the local AS dealer for a 'check-up' to ensure that there are no problems with the suspension, axles, etc. Thanks again to everyone for the great tips.

PS. When I got the Excella to the dealership the shop worker went inside and was stunned. His words were "this looks better than some of the new trailers we sell." As you know those words are music to an 'aluminum junkies' ears

Mitch

Old 07-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
You should not have a battery over-charge situation because as the battery voltage rises it limits the charger input to the battery, and thus only trickle charges the battery.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #87
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
maricopa , Arizona
How to tell if univolt is working

Overlander 64. thanks fro the help yesterday. Another question; How can i tell if my battery is recieving it's charge from the univolt when the trailer is plugged into the 120. My mannual is telling me there should be a glowing light inside the panel of the univolt?? And there is absolutely no humming from my univolt, should there be? I've read so many threads trhat lead me to believe if it's not humming it's not working?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
need help on univolt converter

Greetings neokans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neokans View Post
Overlander 64. thanks fro the help yesterday. Another question; How can i tell if my battery is recieving it's charge from the univolt when the trailer is plugged into the 120. My mannual is telling me there should be a glowing light inside the panel of the univolt?? And there is absolutely no humming from my univolt, should there be? I've read so many threads trhat lead me to believe if it's not humming it's not working?
Assuming that a previous owner has not changed out the Univolt for a more modern converter that doesn't hum -- the Univolt will hum whenever it is connected to shore power. A 12-volt DC meter can be utilized to measure the voltage or amperage being produced by the Univolt (connects to either battery cables or terminals at Univolt).

Some things that you might want to check:
  • Is the Univolt connected to a 120-Volt AC outlet -- or is there an electric cable running into a grommeted hole in the wall? If the power cord is disconnected or cut you may have found at least one potential problem.
  • Check your 120-Volt AC circuit breaker box -- run each breaker through its cycle returning it to on. Note any "loose" or "sloppy" action -- it is possible that one of the circuit breakers may be worn or inoperational.
  • Check the fuses on the battery cables -- these need to be tested with a meter -- be prepared for a search as these fuses aren't readily available -- also, recently, there have been a number of reports of faulty fuse holders for these fuses.
  • Check for a switch that a previous owner may have installed to turn the Univolt on and off -- this will be something of a scavenger hunt, but start with locations nearest the Univolt.
Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: Based on my experience, I would not be too shocked to learn that the Univolt has ceased opertion -- it has been the first component that I have had to replace on both of my coaches.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
Univolt Charger

The univolt charger is a simple 6 Volt transformer with a voltage doubler circuit. There is no lamp or light in the circuit, it is not needed.

If the unit does not vibrate the the input (110Vac ) fuse is open and needs replacement.
The vibration is a condition of the laminate plate vibrating because of the AC current running in it.

It does have a problem of the bayonet fuse holder get corrosion and need to be cleaned and squeezed to made a firmer contact with the fuses.
there are several diode that are part of the rectifying circuit and blocking diode to prevent the trailer battery delivering current to the car from the trailer battery. and allowing the car to charge the trailer battery from the car.
There is a 1 MFD capacitor as part of the doubling circuit. it can be obtained from a Motor Elect house supplier. about $5 to 8 dollars.

Rae Baker VE3CZN
Old 06-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by raebaker06 View Post

If the unit does not vibrate the the input (110Vac ) fuse is open and needs replacement.
The vibration is a condition of the laminate plate vibrating because of the AC current running in it.
If the capacitor(s) are dead, the unit will not vibrate either. As mentioned above, they are an inexpensive replacement part.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
IF the capacitor's are dead the unit will not vibrate

If the capacitor is defective the unit will still vibrate. It is only used to create 12/13.6 VDC . the Transformer will still vibrate but remember I SAY REMEMBER the transformer is a 6 VAC transformer, and if the capacitors faulty you will still get out put but at the 6 Volt level. . the uni is a 6 Volt system with a voltage doubler circuit .

The output stage charges the capacitor on the positive cycle and the adds that to the next positive cycle giving you the 12/13.6 vdc output.

The Univolt charger is supplied from the 120VAC line voltage through the circuit braker panel and then a fuse in the charger and thus to the transformer. ACHEAP AND DIRTY SYSTEM, BUT USUALLY TROUBLE FREE.
It also has the abliity to limit the current to the battery when it is fully charged. If you write to Unitvolt they will send you a schematic

If you need I can draw the circuit and e-mail it to you if you need. via JPEG format

Rae Baker VE3CZN
rbaker.1@netzero.com.