Old 06-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Franklin , TN
Need educated on electric system

I seen a post about someone using 30 amp vs 50 amp and only one ac would get cold and this got me thinking.

Last time we camped we only had 30 amp service, so I knew we could Only use one AC unit at a time. I turned on one and cooled the place down well. Turned the unit off and switched to other unit and fan worked but did not get cool, I thought somethings wrong with it. Now I am wondering if using 30 amp it only powers oneside of the board and it will only power the unit on that side. Is this right?

Before you tell me 30 amp will only run one unit I know, that’s why I turned off the one before starting the other. This question is on wiring 30 amp vs 50 amp and side of power panel. Thanks

skennedy6009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
I am not certain about that. I think the 30 vs 50 amp is only the amount of current before the circuit trips. They are both wired the same. Just like a house, some circuits are designed for more power than others before the breaker trips.

The circuit breaker at the post it is protecting the campground grid and based on the campground wires and setup. If you try to ‘pull’ more than 30 amps, it trips the circuit so the wires don’t melt or so you don’t drain others in the campground. Otherwise the 30 and 50 are the same.

LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Don’t touch electrical if you are not sure you are safe!!! It will kill you.. you will miss lots of camping..

Presume you have a 50AMP AS. When you use the standard 50 AMP cable with the “dog bone” adapter taking the 50 to a 30, here is what happens.

The 30 AMP dog bone actually “connects” both of the phase legs FROM the AS. That way the 30 AMP receptacle with ONE phase leg feeds BOTH from the pedestal into the AS.

If the second AC isn’t working I would check wiring on that phase/power leg. My guess is the AC wiring at the distribution panel. (Breaker panel).
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
I think the 30 vs 50 amp is only the amount of current before the circuit trips. They are both wired the same.
Perhaps I misunderstand.
30 amp power has one leg supplying 30 amps max at 120 v.
(Thus the plug has three pins; hot, neutral, ground.)
50 amp power has TWO legs each supplying 50 amps max at 120 v.
(Thus the plug has four pins; hot1, hot 2, neutral, ground.)
That's why the power pedestal has one breaker for 30 amp and two breakers for 50 amp (usually bridged.)

Now possible reasons the OP didn't see the second AC come on while on 30 amps.
1. Was he using a dog bone adaptor to go from the 30 amp supply to his 50 amp trailer?*
2. It's possible since the first AC cooled the trailer, the second AC didn't see the need to come on. That happens to me. I'll be thinking, "It's getting warm in here, I wonder what's wrong?" and then the AC kicks on.
The compressors are also on a time delay so a quick interruption doesn't cycle the compressor off and on. 5 minutes?

*In a properly wired dog bone, the 30 amp power is sent to BOTH pins of the 50 amp service, so you see the same power on each leg. Just remember, you still only have 30 amps total.
Everything should work.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Franklin , TN
Yes I was using a 30 amp dogbone to go to my 50amp AS. I also used a protector and I had 5 green lights (5 of 5) maybe the AC compressor is just not coming on. might be a Cap or out of coolent that can NOT be charged. I am camping on the 4th of July weekend with 50amps and will trouble shoot then.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Franklin , TN
thanks that what I thought but was just checking. I did have all green lights on my protector so I know I had power on all legs. I guess AC is messed up. I will look at the cap that starts the compressor and if not that I guess coolant leaked out. And yes Electric will hurt and or kill you. I have worked with it all my life on ships and Aircraft but I did not know how the 2 sides of the panel is wired. Was hoping it was a safety so one could not even run 2 ACs on 30amp.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Your second AC should have worked from the 30am pedestal. Note that it likely is a 13.5kbtu unit rather than your main unit, which is likely 15.

I guess the proof that your AC has a problem would be if you found a 50amp pedestal and then tried it again.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If it works on 50 AMP and NOT on 30 AMP, my first check is the adapter... something is whack,,,
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Note also that each AC unit has its own temp sensor. Depending on where sun is hitting your AS, you can have a large difference in readings for the two ACs.

Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote