Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Need an Electrician in Houston, Texas

Hi!

I just bought a 1971 31' Airstream Sovereign and I intend to live in it full time. It's in overall great shape. I got it from a single, retirement-aged owner, but it sat unused for many years. I have it parked outside parent's house in Tomball, Texas and I am living in it as I fix it up. The next big thing I need to do is get the electricity running. I'm currently using power cords out of my parents garage for electricity.

I don't yet know what kind of shape the wiring is in. From what I've seen so far, I'd say it needs to be worked on by a professional. I have no intentions of frying myself or turning this thing into a firebomb. I am looking for an electrician with experience in RV wiring - and especially someone whom is familiar with vintage Airstreams. I need an appraisal and quote, and will contract if I like the numbers.

Please contact me if you are an electrician familiar with Airstreams and/or RVs, or if you know someone in Houston or its surrounding areas who is qualified for the job!

Thank you!
Jennifer

Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
If its towable I'd take it to Bob Jones RV Repair. Tons of airstream experience and good to work with. They are off of 45, south of downtown. Call Chris over there. (713) 910-2949

Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Jennifer,Welcome

Are you looking for wiring work for your Airstream or just to set up a 30 amp circuit to plug your trailer to?

I am also in Tomball and had wiring done to plug my camper into.

Let me know if I can help.

Sid
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Tomball/Houston

Hi!

I would really rather not have the Airstream towed since I have pretty much moved in at this point. I am only showering and cooking in my parent's house until I have the facilities hooked up in the trailer. They could tow me along with it, but I doubt they'd want me living at the dealership.

I use it as a live-work space since returning to the USA after living in Costa Rica for the past year. My job requires quiet and my parent's house is overrun with weiner dogs that bark constantly. I certainly don't want to live inside their home for any length of time. Not only that, but having the Airstream towed to a dealership almost guarantees that dealer the work, since I would then have to tow it somewhere else if I don't like their offer.

Moving the trailer would be a last option for me, and only one that I would consider if I already had a full proposal from an electrician, which includes the estimate and a time-line for completion of work.

As for the contact info: Thanks! I will give him a call. If you think of anything else that can help me, I'd love to hear it.

And to answer Sid: I'm really not sure yet. I know it needs a plug, but I suspect it may need other work since it was dormant for so long, and I believe all of the wiring to be original and probably repaired with, you know, splicing and duct tape. I don't want to take any chances with the electrical work.

Thank you both.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I would imagine it'll be hard to get an estimate from someone without taking them the trailer to see it.

Based on my experiences with airstream dealers in Houston, I wouldn't take my trailer to any of them. Bob Jones is the only place I'd take it. But they're not going to be able to do it if you have to live in it.

Sounds like you need a local electrician to come to you. Be hard pressed to find one of those with vintage airstream experience but who knows. Good luck. Hope you get it running.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Wow Jennifer,

Do you know what the problems are specifically? I don't want to offend you here, but do you understand the power distribution systems in your Airstream? AC vs DC

A plug is fairly easy to accomplish, fixing splices is easy as well. Running new wires is not for the DIYer.

An electrician out of the "Yellow Book" is likely to just know AC voltages and can handle the plug job. It will take a good RV guy to deal with the DC side of things along with the AC side seen in Airstreams.

I agree with Ronnie, if the wiring is bad enough, it will need to go to a RV shop.

I could come buy and help you assist your troubles if needed. Just PM me if you would like.

Sid
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Hi Sid,

I'm not offended. I am certainly not an electrician - I couldn't find offense in someone accusing me of knowing nothing about electrical issues!

To answer your questions; I really don't know what it needs. I do know that it is in overall VG+ shape, so it likely doesn't need an entire overhaul, but I'd like for whatever it needs to be done by someone who understands RV specific electrical systems -- which I do not! My primary concern is that it is safe and livable.

I think Ronnie hit the nail on the head. I want someone to come to me, which of course, I would pay for.

The key things for me in regards to this, or any work that I do or have done on the trailer is that: 1.) it needs to be safe and fully functional, 2.) it needs to maintain or increase the resale value, 3.) It needs to be as authentic to the original vintage as possible in the areas where that matters and 4.) the work should be contactable at this address while I occupy the space.

If you would like to come see it, I could be available this weekend. I will PM you with the details! Thank you for your kindness.

So maybe I should title this ad: I need a local, certified electrician whom has RV experience and makes house calls to take an outside job that I will pay him a very fair price for?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #8

1965 26' Overlander
haslet , Texas
I am a master electrician up here in Ft Worth Tx who is currently restoring a 65 ASO, In order to rewire and increase the value of your Airstream the interior walls will need to be removed. From what i've read your currently living in it and the possibilty of gutting it for a rewire is not an option?