Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Need advice on 30 amp outlet box

I am in the process of installing a 30 amp outlet box on the outside of the garage and really could use some input on this.
I have a 50 amp plug now for the welder that has not been used on the other side of the garage. My thinking is to splice into one side of this 50 amp plug (to get 120 volts) and run 10 ga. Romex to the 30 amp outlet. Is this OK? and is 10 ga OK with a distance of 60 ft.? Also, should I change the breakers to 30 amp?

Thanks, Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Your thinking is OK. Be sure to put a blank cover on the box where the 50 amp outlet used to be. 10 ga wire is OK for 30 amps for a short run of 60'. I'm assuming that the 50 amp was run with 8 ga. Be sure to put a wire nut on both ends of the unused wire from the 50 amp circuit. No unnecessary sparks allowed. Is Romex code for exterior where you live? You didn't say if it was going outside or staying in. Make sure it burial type if using outside. Run it in a short peice of conduit from the box to underground for protection. Use a 2nd piece to bring it up to the 30 amp outlet box.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Your thinking is OK. Be sure to put a blank cover on the box where the 50 amp outlet used to be. 10 ga wire is OK for 30 amps for a short run of 60'. I'm assuming that the 50 amp was run with 8 ga. Be sure to put a wire nut on both ends of the unused wire from the 50 amp circuit. No unnecessary sparks allowed. Is Romex code for exterior where you live? You didn't say if it was going outside or staying in. Make sure it burial type if using outside. Run it in a short peice of conduit from the box to underground for protection. Use a 2nd piece to bring it up to the 30 amp outlet box.

Ricky
Could he use the same plug but switch out circuit breaker with a 30 amp and use only one of the legs of the 220 volt. That way he would not have to do all kinds of installation stuff . He could even since I believe it usually is a dual pole circuit breaker for his 220 volt welder use a duel pole 30 amp and just end cap one lead at distribution panel . Any electricians have any advice out there on this I dont want to mislead anyone?.

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
will you ever use the welder again? if you might i'd look to see if it is possible to run a line from the welding outlet to a 30a fused 120v line to an outlet for the trailer. that way you'd get to have both.

i wouldn't weld with the trailer plugged in even if you don't trip a breaker. the voltage spikes would not be a good thing.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post

Ricky
Thanks for the advice. The 50 amp one is on the inside wall of the garage. My thinking is to fish the new 10 amp wire down the wall from the attic and connect it, run it across the attic above the garage and come down the outside wall in a conduit to the new box. Hmm, do not know about Romex possibly not being up to code. What should be used?

Bob
Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
? do you have 4 wires coming to 50 amp box? You need a 120 v leg,a ground,and a neutral.Even though the neutral and the ground go to the same place in the box ,an electrician told me I need both. How far is panel,might be better to go to panel and keep your welder outlet.Dave
Just saw the other posts, romex is legal in residential housing. Are you planning on keeping the 50 amp,if so I believe it is illegal to tap in in the ceiling,where are you going to get the slack to make a junction box.also breaker must be installed between 8ga and 10 ga. My opinion,Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
? do you have 4 wires coming to 50 amp box? You need a 120 v leg,a ground,and a neutral.Even though the neutral and the ground go to the same place in the box ,an electrician told me I need both. How far is panel,might be better to go to panel and keep your welder outlet.Dave
Just saw the other posts, romex is legal in residential housing. Are you planning on keeping the 50 amp,if so I believe it is illegal to tap in in the ceiling,where are you going to get the slack to make a junction box.also breaker must be installed between 8ga and 10 ga. My opinion,Dave
OK, I just went out and opened up the 50 amp outlet. Those wires are HUGE! and only 3 of them. I thought there would be a separate ground wire but like you say, the neutral and ground are one. I guess my best bet is to go to the panel and put in a new 30 amp breaker. I've just never opened up one of those!

Thank you, Bob
Old 05-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
OK, I just went out and opened up the 50 amp outlet. Those wires are HUGE! and only 3 of them. I thought there would be a separate ground wire but like you say, the neutral and ground are one. I guess my best bet is to go to the panel and put in a new 30 amp breaker. I've just never opened up one of those!

Thank you, Bob
Ok just so I understand you want to run a line from the welders plug to the other side of garage closer to where you trailer is ? . I would If I were you add a 30 amp breaker to your breaker box and run a 10/3 wire from there to where you want it near your trailer.

1) When opening a breaker box think saftey first..Use gloves..
2) Use insulated tools (short screw drivers )Manipulate wires with pliers not hands.
3) When you run wires in box tape off the ends so no wire is exposed
4) DO it slow and easy
5) Strip wires one at a time and make sure you have wires away from breaker box.
6) Wire up the neutral and ground wire first
7) Wire line to circuit breaker before you pop in circuit breaker(live wire is black)make sure breaker is off.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I was questioning the Romex alone being code for exterior use. It's OK when run inside conduit. make sure you have a large diameter conduit as romex won't pull as easy as 3 loose wires.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Thanks

Just want to say thank you for the great input on this. The 50 amp welding plug idea is out! I will attempt to open up the breaker panel box and wire in a new 30 amp line with breaker.
Since this will be my first time with opening up one of these, I think it best to have the main power OFF!

Bob
Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Hopefully your panel is not full,if it is you need a piggy back breaker,get the brand name of your panel, and purchase a 30 amp single pole breaker,should be an open knockout on panel.make sure you use a romex connector.Also make sure yoy turn off the main breaker usually a 200 amp breaker,do not touch top lugs,they are still hot.Better yet get a licenced electrician,then if the house burns down it is his insurance paying for it.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
One more question?

OK, I'm thinking (that's bad I know!) but how about wiring straight from the panel ( no breaker ) to an outlet panel that has a 30 amp breaker like this B001813YG2 | Conibear RV Center

Bob
Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
OK, I'm thinking (that's bad I know!) but how about wiring straight from the panel ( no breaker ) to an outlet panel that has a 30 amp breaker like this B001813YG2 | Conibear RV Center

Bob
Well you need a breaker from the breaker box there is no other way to connect to main bus . There is one more way to do this you could turn the welding plug int a fuse panel with a 30 amp circuit breaker in it but you would need to run a ground rod to that panel .How far is the Welding Plug from the trailer?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust