Old 05-02-2003, 12:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
while back on the battery subject; I have one deep cycle that will stay charged for only a few days.

There are no drains on it, I disconnect it by blade switch when not in use. It still dies. It will take a charge, the little green eye lights up, then it holds only a few days.

I have read somewhere that batteries like that can be "shocked"back to life by doing some sort of charge cycle. Anyone have an idea about this?

ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:29 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Bigfork , Montana

I had a battery which would "die" quickly also, even though it would show fully charged. I took it to a dealer who charged it overnight (24 hours) with a professional charger which he said would "shock" it back to life if possible (not sure those were his exact words). Turned out there was one cell which was bad, and no matter what it would not hold a charge for any length of time. sounds to me like you've got a shot battery.

Rick Klein
Seeking another Bambi
'08 Honda Ridgeline
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thats what I was thinking- its sealed so I can't check cells, and my charger is a failry new 20 amp made for deep cycle batteries.
Oh well back to the parts store.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
That little green eye is only across one cell so if that cell is OK you would think the battery is good when it is probably at 10.2 VDC due to one bad cell.
The green eye is a good indicator on battery condition most of the time but it won't detect a bad cell unless it is the green eye cell. I have heard a very high out put battery charger will sometimes burn the buildup of the plates but I have a charger that will put out over 18 VDC on hi and it has never fixed the problem for me.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The # 1 reason batteries die is due to sulfation buildup on the battery plates. Some of the newer battery chargers/maintainers are designed to "shake" the plates so that the sulphur is broken up and mixed back in with the battery acid. It seems that you may have a dead cell and nothing will help that. I also have had the "green eye" showing a charge but developed a bad cell and a battery that would not hold a full charge.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:46 PM   #20
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Deep cycle batteries (the type that we use--most of us) are more prone to freezing than normal batteries.

Due to their deep cycle design, they do charge faster, but there is a price.

I have used deep cycle for over 25 years and more recently as of '94 in my boat. The battery lasted far less when I kept it in the boat in the garage over the winter even checking the levels, etc.

I now take the batts out over the winter and replace when the amb temp is over 40 degrees C.

They have lasted 2x longer since I started doing this.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote