Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Here is another thing they might be. Some AS of that era had propane tank level indicators built in as factory equipment. The original and most likely replaced valves had gages with an electric resistance element (90 ohm, I think) which gave an interior readout of the amount of propane left in the tank. If your valves have been replaced, that feature was most likely eliminated, and the wires just left hanging.

Does your monitor panel have a two position switch for tank 1 and 2, and indicator for propane level (it might be red led lights). If so, the wires most likely went to that propane level indicator.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jon, Airstream does not keep the best records of what they do. Changes can happen in mid-year and you'll have a terrible time finding them. Some Owner's Manuals can be a far behind what is actually in the trailer. There are a fair amount of records posted on the company website. They seriously updated that a couple of years ago. They haven't updated the latest models for a while, however.

It appears factory administration is somewhat careless and does not come close to contemporary standards.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Possibility?

I went back and searched the forums for LP Tank level indicators and found a few references though many were from earlier years. I did then look up and there is a listing for a deluxe Monitoring panel as an option for the '92. in the flyer it says N/A w/o aluminum bottles. I know I do not have any thing on my panel for LP level, so my guess is they installed the wires and then did not do the upgrade to the higher level monitor panel and decided to leave the two wires hanging outside. I think I will pull them back in through the floor and tape them up to be sure.

Still unsure about the extra pink wire, but perhaps it was also for some strange thing they decided not to install.

I am truly grateful to have an AS and believe there are some great things about it. I do also think that unfortunately there were some things that were completed by humans at the end of a week (Friday) that was most likely very cold and was getting very close to the Holiday season (12/13/91) and folks wanted to go home for the weekend. There are many things that were just not done to spec. If I had never been in a similar situation myself, I would say that I was surprised. However we are all human and we all find ourselves at some point not giving our best effort.

I will just take this wonderful AS as a reminder for me to always put my best effort into my work.

Life is good--- Traveling in an AS is a step above.
Jon

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Hello All. I read once that Airstream had at one time electrically operated LP gas shutoff valves. The article indicated that there was a switch (or switches) on the monitor panel where the LP tank valves could be turned on and off electrically from inside the trailer. Never saw it but I heard about it.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote