Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
So very few ideas as to the mystery wires. I have sent an e-mail to the mother ship to see what they can tell me. I am still looking for information about the flat tire monitor or the refrigerator shut off. Or any other exterior option from the period that may be almost included.
Thanks
Jon

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe I missed something, but was the "flat detector" to detect whether the trailer was level (i.e., "flat") so the fridge operated better and was the fridge cutoff a switch to turn it off if the trailer wasn't level?

Gene

Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1oqrz View Post
Hello All. On my 1988 Excella which had the original 9 pin connector, the 2 extra wires was for the refer cutoff and the flat detector and on my 88 neither were connected.
Good luck and happy camping nm1oqrz
Gene
The above post is where I first heard of this. I can find nothing on either option in the listings for any '91-'93 trailer.

Airstream, Inc :: Specifications

The only option listed that I do not have is the solar battery charger pre-wire. That is what I was assuming the pink wire was but have no idea where the other end may be located. It would be great to figure it out so I could install solar.

Jon

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jon, there is supposed to be a solar pre-wire located in the fridge compartment to feed to the roof where a solar panel would be. It should come down one side of the compartment from the fridge vent on the roof. There is usually an area next to the fridge where a solar panel controller can be mounted and connected to the pre-wire. Then the wire goes to the converter. They use 10 AWG wire for it, though a larger solar array should use bigger gauge wire. Wire that thick is much harder to bend than anything else except the battery wires.

Most Romex cable for the 120 v. circuits is 12 AWG. The gauge is marked somewhere on the side of the cable (cable has 2 or more conductors in it). 12 v. circuits have much thinner wire. The wires with stripes on them are 12 v. wires; so are the solid colors next to them I think but it is hard to tell from the photo. 12 gauge and bigger (lower numbers are bigger) are always solid colors (usually black, white, red, green, bare). Battery wires are 12 v., but very thick because of the high amps.

Gene
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Thanks Gene

I appreciate your additional guidance. I recently had the fridge pulled out and did not see any wires hanging down, but I may just have to slide it back out and look. I have not screwed it back in yet. I was not working and needed to be burped. As luck would have it the burping did not work so i beat it with a stick (as advised on the forum) and presto it started to work. I will go back and get gauge numbers for the wires and perhaps that will help.

I like mystery, just when they are happening to someone else.

As Always Gene, Thanks.
Jon

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Word from The official AS tech support.

"Jonathan,
The Engineer got back with me. He thinks that circuit 3 had the furnace, galley lights, and water pump switch. He is not sure of all the wires, however he feels that the blue/white and blue/orange were for the LP tank. I'm afraid that is all we would have."

Ok, so Circuit 3 in my trailer is a pink wire, and it happens to be the exact same type and gauge as the one for circuit 3, however they did not know why there may be two of the same wire pulled.

Also does anyone know of any device on an LP tank that would be connected to wires? is there such a thing as an automatic switch for tanks, or some sort of alert when a tank runs out? Any help is appreciated.

I am a little confused if my contact was speaking with an engineer from the floor when my trailer was built in '91 you would think they could recall what things were installed in them, or at least have some sort of documentation. Perhaps Andy has seen this before and will help solve the puzzle.

Perhaps it is just the case as was discussed in " My journey to Airstream "mothership"
"As far as product problems go, I always believed in the built on a Monday Theory. Sal."

I guess that goes for a trailer being built on Friday the 13th as well.

I would appreciate any help possible.
Jon

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-02_07-11-02_719.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	152606  

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Here is another thing they might be. Some AS of that era had propane tank level indicators built in as factory equipment. The original and most likely replaced valves had gages with an electric resistance element (90 ohm, I think) which gave an interior readout of the amount of propane left in the tank. If your valves have been replaced, that feature was most likely eliminated, and the wires just left hanging.

Does your monitor panel have a two position switch for tank 1 and 2, and indicator for propane level (it might be red led lights). If so, the wires most likely went to that propane level indicator.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jon, Airstream does not keep the best records of what they do. Changes can happen in mid-year and you'll have a terrible time finding them. Some Owner's Manuals can be a far behind what is actually in the trailer. There are a fair amount of records posted on the company website. They seriously updated that a couple of years ago. They haven't updated the latest models for a while, however.

It appears factory administration is somewhat careless and does not come close to contemporary standards.

Gene
Old 03-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Possibility?

I went back and searched the forums for LP Tank level indicators and found a few references though many were from earlier years. I did then look up and there is a listing for a deluxe Monitoring panel as an option for the '92. in the flyer it says N/A w/o aluminum bottles. I know I do not have any thing on my panel for LP level, so my guess is they installed the wires and then did not do the upgrade to the higher level monitor panel and decided to leave the two wires hanging outside. I think I will pull them back in through the floor and tape them up to be sure.

Still unsure about the extra pink wire, but perhaps it was also for some strange thing they decided not to install.

I am truly grateful to have an AS and believe there are some great things about it. I do also think that unfortunately there were some things that were completed by humans at the end of a week (Friday) that was most likely very cold and was getting very close to the Holiday season (12/13/91) and folks wanted to go home for the weekend. There are many things that were just not done to spec. If I had never been in a similar situation myself, I would say that I was surprised. However we are all human and we all find ourselves at some point not giving our best effort.

I will just take this wonderful AS as a reminder for me to always put my best effort into my work.

Life is good--- Traveling in an AS is a step above.
Jon

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Hello All. I read once that Airstream had at one time electrically operated LP gas shutoff valves. The article indicated that there was a switch (or switches) on the monitor panel where the LP tank valves could be turned on and off electrically from inside the trailer. Never saw it but I heard about it.
Happy camping nm1oqrz