Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
annapolis , Maryland
Mystery short in electrical

we just left camp after 11 days, one day it rained hard. the water had splashed dirt and sand on my connector cord and connector. i wiped everything off before plugging in. my brake lights etc work.....my electric brakes work but there is a problem when i hit the bumps my TV electric door locks click on and off like crazy. only when i hit the bumps or coming to a stop. i unhooked connector and problem went away. i have a short somewhere in that connector or some dirt thats causing it to short out......can we get suggestions??? thanx All!!
ronboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Not sure where your main ground on the trailer is. Mine is just behind the A frame underneath by the spare wheel. Whenever I have had an electrical anomaly that is the first thing I check. Almost on every occasion it is the culprit.

I give mine a shot of brake cleaner, make sure there is no dirt or corrosion d poof anomaly gone....

Worth a try, since you dried everything else.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Is your remote on your key ring bouncing around hitting against the steering column.
I added an extra loop so that my remote hangs down further.

Or, could be your remote is going bad. When mine did I took the battery out of it, because it was driving me nuts.
Click, click, click going down the road or parked in the driveway.

There is no way that the trailer connector is causing your tow vehicle locks to do anything. Those circuits are not connected.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I agree with A W Warn. I would find it hard to believe the umbilical connection would effect (only) the door locks on the tow vehicle. They are two separate systems. Check the key fob,easy fix. Perhaps the drivers side door lock button is having issues?
If it is not simple a digital multi meter may help you identify your problem. They are relatively inexpensive and something we should all have in our on-the-road kits.
Best of luck,
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
annapolis , Maryland
mystery solved

i have a rubber mat in the bed of my TV.......under the mat is my spare key FOB in case i lock myself out.....when i loaded the truck , my grill leg was on top of my key FOB.....when i hit bumps my grill would bounce and click the lock button......thanx for the key fob hint......i knew right away when i read your post....another mystery solved with team work
ronboy is offline   Reply With Quote