Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Question Mystery Short-First for everything right?

First-A warning-this will be a bit long for a thread. We have a 69 Overlander with original electrical equipment, univolt with 12v glass fuse panel(all fuses just replaced), breaker panel with 4 slim breakers, battery located in back trunk-all of which seems to be located in very odd locations and far away from each other and yes most of this will be replaced in good time(and possibly consolidated for ease of maintenance). All of which has worked fine for the most part since buying it about 3 years ago.

So, today I went out to begin yet another day of polishing the beast which has been plugged into our garage since parked the last few months while polishing and working on getting her ready for a major road trip this summer. Only this time I had no power in the garage-went into our house service panel and the breaker was tripped-tried to reset-buzzed a few seconds and tripped again-like a short-only a bit longer in deration. Nothing had changed since yesterday-or so it seemed. I immediately went and unplugged the AS and went back down to reset the breaker and it was fine. I suspected our original Univolt or the ancient patched up plug was to blame-and yes it's also on my list to replace all of this too. So I went inside the AS and turned off all the breakers in our 1969 breaker panel which has 4 slim breakers, (which are pretty lame compared to a house slimline breaker because these barely snap in-sorry, digression) 30, 20, 20 and 20-1-4 are the breakers we have-which according to the manual are wired like a panel for Canada-odd but happy to at least have 4 separate circuits and not two like the manual shows. Manual also shows a 20 and 3 15's-hmm...more mystery.

Plugged it back in to a GFI outlet in my garage this time-so I could avoid the long walk to the basement, and proceeded to turn the breakers on one by one, left to right in order. When I got to number 3-(20 amp) the GFI popped-not the breaker in the AS but the GFI in my garage. So I repeated the same steps skipping number 3 breaker and all went fine-this also gave me a good excuse to track down what ran on each breaker finally since none of them are labeled-more mystery! So I swapped breakers to see if breaker 3 was just old and tired but the same thing happened with a different breaker. Luckily, on our box, breaker #3 controls outlets in the front living area and kitchen. We had power to the AC, water pump, lights and some outlets. I then decided to pull outlet covers off to see if there was anything visible before checking continuity and I found water inside the front 120V outlet by the couch-not good. Then I remembered we had a terrible rain storm-serious buckets of water last night, which also brought up other window gasket leaks and another leak we hadn't seen before. I'm assuming our scare light fixture, which was half way apart for polishing, was the culprit for the leak because I took it apart and it was wet behind the scare light-the insulation was wet and it's located directly above this outlet and 3 12v switches. Here's what's really confusing: none of our breakers in our AS 120V box tripped but it caused the power provider-either the GFI or our house breaker to the garage to trip. Could moisture or a leak do this and if so why wouldn't the breaker in the trailer go first? Could something else be causing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering-unknown source from a Robert Fripp album-
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Yeah, sure, if I understand you correctly. The GFCI is a comparator that matches the current sent to your trailer on one wire to the current that returns through the other wire. Water in an outlet box provides an alternate route to ground for some of the current so that less returns to the GFCI than goes out from it causing it to trip. The breaker in the trailer is a less "intelligent " device and only senses the total amount of current in the circuit, but not the paths by which it travels. The GFCI is very sensitive and will trip for leakage currents that are too small to worry the regular circuit breaker.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Thank you for the explanation. I understand that a GFI is less sensitive to voltage changes than a typical breaker-I've had other situations where that rang true-live and learn right? Maybe that would explain why the breaker in my house panel to the garage tripped too because it's also a GFI breaker? Maybe the AS will dry out and all will be fine.

It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering-unknown source from a Robert Fripp album-
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote