Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
Mysterious Orange Wires?

I've got two orange wires poking out of the battery compartment and disappearing into my A/S. Both wires have fusible links attached to them, and both have been long abandoned, as I figure this '63 Safari has not been hooked up to D/C for many many moons.

I was looking at a 1964 one-line trying to get this thing sorted out and I started wondering if maybe these orange wires were somehow connected to the vehicle charge line?

Truth be told, I have no clue how the vehicle battery is connected to the trailer battery which is connected to D/C system which is consequently converted to the A/C system!

But I do have a theory! Please let me know if I'm even remotely close on my thinking, or if I'm heading down the path of being titled "Mr. Darwin 2007!"

I am using the hypothesis that the two trailer's orange wires located at the battery compartment are intended to be connected to the vehicle charge line coming out of the 7-pin adaptor plug:

A black "charge" wire leaves the 7-pin plug. Somewhere along the wiring harness, the black wire is connected to an orange wire, which makes it's way to the battery compartment. This orange wire has a fusible-link (F/L) and is connected to the positive battery post. ANOTHER orange wire is connected to same post and enters the trailer cavity (it also has a F/L) and makes it's way to the power inverter located under the sink compartment. This orange wire provides 12V D/C power to the inverter which can then be changed to 110V power.

Does all this make sense? Or am I way off the mark here?

Your thoughts? I don't know how the charge line was suppose to work originally, so I may be way off of the mark here. I have pictures and self-made diagrams of all of this, if anyone needs additional info. My 110 power is working fine, I'm trying to complete the 12V system so I can get the battery back up and operational, and I want to make sure that I do it right!

Your help is greatly appreciated!
a.Z.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Denver Aaron; It is a hard call, but it is possible that they are breakaway switch wires that are hooked to trailer battery. Since you cannot see to follow the wires, you will have to use a long wire for a jumper lead and ring them out with a Ohmmeter while disconnected from battery. Only then you can find out what they are, unless they are part of the original installation and someone has a wiring diagram for it. I do not have one. Let me know if I can assist you any further. Good luck, "boatdoc"

Old 10-04-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The problem is, there is really no owner's manual, or repair manuals for 1963 and older coaches.I still have a few wires that dangle, and I have no idea where they are supposed to go, everything works, and there is no voltage to them, so I left them alone. If everything works in your coach, you may want to let sleeping wires lie.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
Hey, I discovered another location for the orange wires. I opened up my city/battery switch located above the stove, and there were 4 orange wires hidden behind the switch. A pair of orage wires came out of the switch directly and disappeared down the wall. Another pair of orange wires were snipped from somewhere and tied together and taped over with electrical tape (please see attached files). There were also (4) green ground wires intertwined in this mess.

I know a previous owner removed the battery and obviously rewired everything to bypass battery power. But now I want to get my A/S back onto 12V, so how is this switch intended to be wired?

Sorry if these pics are hard to read. I can provide better ones if necessary.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
Hey, I discovered another location for the orange wires. I opened up my city/battery switch located above the stove, and there were 4 orange wires hidden behind the switch. A pair of orage wires came out of the switch directly and disappeared down the wall. Another pair of orange wires were snipped from somewhere and tied together and taped over with electrical tape (please see attached files). There were also (4) green ground wires intertwined in this mess.

I know a previous owner removed the battery and obviously rewired everything to bypass battery power. But now I want to get my A/S back onto 12V, so how is this switch intended to be wired?

Sorry if these pics are hard to read. I can provide better ones if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KICX46751x1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	26670   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Safari Airstream Orange Wires1x1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	26671  

Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
I think the top pair of orange wires are 110V and were removed from the switch and hard wired together so as to bypass the switch, remove the battery from the system, and keep the trailer always wired for 110V. This would explain why nothing ever happens when I flip the city/battery power switch. I will have to go and reconnect these orange wires to the back of the switch to prove my theory!

One thing, though. How do these orange wires plug into the 110V system? I don't see them back at my panel? Is the 110V system parallel or series? Maybe these orange wires disrupt the series?? If so, does one have to be careful about flipping the switch with the 110V running, i.e. A/C unit and lights?

Anyone??
Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have a 63 GT,& Iam wanting to get the 12V system working.I also have some mystery wires hanging in the batt. compartment! I have not found an inverter anywhere in the trailer,nor do I have a city/battery switch.Not sure where to start or what is needed!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
I created a new listing for the city/battery power switch, as I'm hoping the title will attract fellow pre-1964 owners that may know how this switch is suppose to be wired or suppose to affect the electrical system. Here's the link:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ari-26760.html
Old 10-08-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Aurora , Colorado
By the way, after all of my digging, prodding, and tracing I have determined that all of the orange wires in my '63 Safari are to power the exhaust fan, either by city or battery power. FYI