Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Six pages making a mountain out of a mole hill.

SOP.

“ . . . Talk first, think later . . . “

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Better than a pile of melted AU...🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
AU is gold and it should be for the price. I hope you meant AL

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
No one is born knowing everything (though I’ve met some folks who believe they were....). Hashing out a discussion to learn something shouldn’t be problematic. It’s something I love about the forums. I’m still trying to make up my own mind about this and appreciate everyone’s input....

If there is a risk of danger (mountain) that a simple device in these specific circumstances can alleviate - that’s a good thing. If it offers no protection from the issue and serves only to trick an EMS - then yeah - it’s a molehill. I’m still listening and learning - sorry if that’s ticking people off. If you know what you need to know - share it or just avoid the discussion altogether. Makes for a happier life [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #144
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	342944 I have been following along and think I am starting to understand most of what is being said. Maybe. My question is with a Honda Industrial EB2000i, which has a GFI and is “ neutral bonded to the frame” , is it okay to plug into the Airstream without the bonding plug? If I understand correctly, it should be okay. When I test the generator with the plug-in device,which comes with an Airstream, I get the “correct” indication with the lights. I do have a 50 Amp EMS but I don’t use it with the generator mostly because of the size of the EMS an number of adapters I would have to use. Comments?
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #145
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
AU is gold and it should be for the price. I hope you meant AL

Larry
$$$$$=AS+AL=AU🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Attachment 342944 I have been following along and think I am starting to understand most of what is being said. Maybe. My question is with a Honda Industrial EB2000i, which has a GFI and is “ neutral bonded to the frame” , is it okay to plug into the Airstream without the bonding plug? If I understand correctly, it should be okay. When I test the generator with the plug-in device,which comes with an Airstream, I get the “correct” indication with the lights. I do have a 50 Amp EMS but I don’t use it with the generator mostly because of the size of the EMS an number of adapters I would have to use. Comments?
Yes. That generator needs no bonding plug. The bond is built in (hence the working GFCI plug on it.)
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #147

2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Terrible and scary. I’m so sorry. Hope it is resolved soon.
Doc10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:32 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Everyone. Yup, It's Mike Sokol from RVelectricity and the No~Shock~Zone again. Would any of you happen to have pictures of how the power at Alumapalooza was run? I'm especially curious to see how the 20-amp circuit was split to multiple RV's as noted in the very first thread on this post. Thanks....

You can post them here or email mike (at) noshockzone (dot) org. Mike Sokol
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
Everyone. Yup, It's Mike Sokol from RVelectricity and the No~Shock~Zone again. Would any of you happen to have pictures of how the power at Alumapalooza was run? I'm especially curious to see how the 20-amp circuit was split to multiple RV's as noted in the very first thread on this post. Thanks....

You can post them here or email mike (at) noshockzone (dot) org. Mike Sokol
I don't have any specific pictures, but I believe I know how it was run. They had a main breaker box with many 20 amp breakers. They ran white electrical wire on the ground to a pole holding 2 dual-plug electrical receptacles in a metal box. That provided four trailers with a 20 amp circuit. There were 42 trailers in the field, but at least 10-12 were in the generator section with no power. 30 trailers hooked to the electrical system. I was told it was a 20 amp circuit but I can not verify this. We were told we had 3 amps to use. The host said it was a 20 amp circuit. They threw a 5-gallon bucket over the plugs to keep them dry.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:39 AM   #150
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I don't have any specific pictures, but I believe I know how it was run. They had a main breaker box with many 20 amp breakers. They ran white electrical wire on the ground to a pole holding 2 dual-plug electrical receptacles in a metal box. That provided four trailers with a 20 amp circuit. There were 42 trailers in the field, but at least 10-12 were in the generator section with no power. 30 trailers hooked to the electrical system. I was told it was a 20 amp circuit but I can not verify this. We were told we had 3 amps to use. The host said it was a 20 amp circuit. They threw a 5-gallon bucket over the plugs to keep them dry.

When you say "white electrical wire" do you mean some kind of solid conductor Romex wire like you would run inside the walls of your house or RV?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
When you say "white electrical wire" do you mean some kind of solid conductor Romex wire like you would run inside the walls of your house or RV?

yes, romeo.

Tom & Doty
Old 06-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Six pages making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Would it be a mole hill if it was your trailer that had components fried, and an electrified skin?
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #153
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Would it be a mole hill if it was your trailer that had components fried, and an electrified skin?
I agree. This appears to be a pretty serious code violation. I’m investigating it further.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:27 AM   #154
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Yes.it was a problem, it was solved, it now has devolved into a generator grounding thread.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
I agree. This appears to be a pretty serious code violation. I’m investigating it further.
Without examining the actual parts involved in the incident, how do you determine that it was a code violation and not a simple component failure/fault in the parts involved. A multipoint fault, while rare, is possible.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #156
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Without examining the actual parts involved in the incident, how do you determine that it was a code violation and not a simple component failure/fault in the parts involved. A multipoint fault, while rare, is possible.
Running Romex solid conductor wire on the ground is a serious code violation. Using non-weatherproof boxes on the ground with buckets over top is a code violation. Running 20-amp outlets outside without GFCI protection is a code violation. Virtually everything that was described is in direct violation with the NEC and would NEVER have passed even a rudimentary inspection by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction).

Do I need to go on?
Old 06-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Codes vary per state.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Running Romex solid conductor wire on the ground is a serious code violation. Using non-weatherproof boxes on the ground with buckets over top is a code violation. Running 20-amp outlets outside without GFCI protection is a code violation. Virtually everything that was described is in direct violation with the NEC and would NEVER have passed even a rudimentary inspection by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction).

Do I need to go on?
Wow! If Airstream is going to supply the wiring for this event, they probably should look into a more permanent solution. When I went to adjust my hitch, I got knocked backward from a jolt as I grabbed the ProPride head to straighten it. I'm told that could have been worse.

The gentlemen who set up the wiring were from Airstream's maintenance department. Electricians? I do not know. Airstream IS the town. They may get away with a lot when it comes to having inspections for things like this. I would not be able to do this without an inspection in my town.

I am going to make Airstream Life aware of this issue just so they can protect future shows from problems like this.

Tom & Doty
Old 06-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #159
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I am sure if you complain enough this event will end. Is that what is wanted? One personpulling too many amps because he cannot follow instructions.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I am sure if you complain enough this event will end. Is that what is wanted? One personpulling too many amps because he cannot follow instructions.
I sent the editor an email not to complain or ask for reimbursement, but to let him know that this issue could be the downfall of an event like this. This is how a lot of Airstream events are set up. It probably is better for him to revisit this wiring before more damage is done or someone gets hurt. An injury or death is not the time to react to this. Out of the five trailers damaged, not one person was vindictive or angry over the incident. Airstream stepped up to the plate and covered everyone. No one wants to shut this event down.

My email was very positive. I can post it here if you like! Well, maybe after he reads it.

Tom & Doty