Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The charge line from your TV will supply 12 volt power to your coach when the TV is running or you have the key on.
Unfortunately the wiring is too small to work well. Plus, you will drain the TV battery to the point where it may not start the TV.
The converter and TV are wired in parallel in order for either to charge the coach battery.
You will need a battery in the coach to provide power to the breakaway switch when towing. In case the coach becomes unhitched from the TV. Most, if not all states require this.
Deep Cycle batteries are the best choice for your coach. The battery in your TV is designed differently for high current short period starts. A typical "start" battery is not the best choice when it comes to providing 12 volt power to your coach.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Thanks Crabbey and Twinkie...very helpful information. Sounds like I'll need to figure out where to put a small deep cycle battery in the trailer. In the directions for the PD converter, it talks about an auxiliary battery disconnect switch or something with a small jumper that goes between two battery attachment lugs....is this so you can flip a switch somewhere and remotely disconnect the trailer battery or something? What would the wiring diagram look like for that??

I appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Lee

Old 09-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Vancouver , British Columbia
Hi I just bought a converter identical to the one you have. I was excited to test it out but I get nothing.i spent hrs going over the installation and I have wired it correctly and I know the 120v AC side works but the DC side would not power up anything. I used my fan and a light as a test and got nothing. The cooling fan in the unit never comes on and when power is shut off to the DC converter it just makes a mild whirring sound and that's it. I have looked everywhere to see if I am missing something but there is not much information or a video of the system running.
I am thinking the converter DC side is faulty. I know I have it wired properly.
So if there is any description of what it should be doing when power is supplied I would be grateful. Then I can decide if it needs to be returned and get it replaced.
Thanks
Brian
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Boult View Post
Hi I just bought a converter identical to the one you have. I was excited to test it out but I get nothing.i spent hrs going over the installation and I have wired it correctly and I know the 120v AC side works but the DC side would not power up anything. I used my fan and a light as a test and got nothing. The cooling fan in the unit never comes on and when power is shut off to the DC converter it just makes a mild whirring sound and that's it. I have looked everywhere to see if I am missing something but there is not much information or a video of the system running.
I am thinking the converter DC side is faulty. I know I have it wired properly.
So if there is any description of what it should be doing when power is supplied I would be grateful. Then I can decide if it needs to be returned and get it replaced.
Thanks
Brian
If 120 volts AC is applied and the output is zero, you have a bad converter.

Andy
Old 09-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Did you insert fuses into the slots for the proper circuits? Are they blown?
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Vancouver , British Columbia
OK update on converter.
it does work.
I decided to approach the whole problem after I cleaned up work space and bought a curcuit and voltage tester. I grounded everything properly organized and relabelled the many wires involved in the rewiring process and "VOLA" it is all ok. It is not like I don't know about these things. My dad was an electrician and passed much knowledge on to me and I have wired many houses but like many projects, keeping organized helped the problem (which wire goes where). So all is good.
I am restoring the 1955 Overlander alone so it can be daunting at times but cleaning up, keeping tools and enviroment organized goes a long way in helping with sanity.
I have always maintained that if something seems broken it could just be something really simple as in this case getting the circuit correct and wiring organized.

It is exciting to see my new fan and vintage lighting working and knowing someday it will all look great.

Thanks for the suggestions they are all valid things to check.
Cheers