Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Multimeter Recommendation (to Purchase)

While I didn't really think I was going to get involved in electrical system repairs, modifications, and diagnostics, reading Air Forums for the past 9 months has convinced me that a multimeter is essential hardware for an Airstream owner. So, I would appreciate learning what brand and model you experienced diagnosticians recommend that a newbie like myself should purchase.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No reason to spend a lot of money. All you need is basic functions. Check out Harbor Freight for inexpensive reliable multimeters. Keep an eye out for their coupons for free meters and 20% off.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Can't agree more with AWCHIEF. I've got two Harbor Freight units, they're affordable and good enough for on the road getting the job done.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Something with decent ranges for AC & DC, and an Ohmmeter. A Fluke would be nice, but that's overkill. Radio Shack if they still exist have reasonable, inexpensive meters.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Great. I see that there is a Harbor Freight store nearby. I have printed out a 20% discount coupon, and will go check out the store tomorrow. Thanks for this tip. I had never heard of Harbor Freight before. Would the "free meter" opportunity be when you buy some expensive item?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
In Harbor Freight ads there are two coupons (20% off and a free item), frequently the free item is a multi-meter, flashlight, measuring tape, or some screwdrivers. Just look for their ads in weekend papers, car magazines, lots of 1 or 2 page ads.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have enough of their free flashlights, tape measures, screw drivers and multimeters to open my on HF. I keep the coupons including the 20% off ones in the Jeep just in case I stop and find something I can not live without.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
A good midrange unit from Lowes or Home Depot. Been using my HD one extensively restoring for past almost 2 years. Reworded all 120v and extensive work on the 12v. Recommend getting leads with alligator clips if it doesn't come with them. Also, if you're going to get really involved, recommend a small batch of test leads, wires with alligator clips on each end.
Fluke is the bomb, loved them in the service, but unless you're using for work or VERY serious hobbyist not worth the money necessary.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
No reason to spend a lot of money. All you need is basic functions. Check out Harbor Freight for inexpensive reliable multimeters. Keep an eye out for their coupons for free meters and 20% off.
I got 1 of the free multi-meters. I am surprised at how good it's been. I haven't seen any free coupons for a long time, wish they'd come back. I got some of the flashlights which are pretty good too.

I still have my Radio Shack multi-meter from 1970. It's taken a licking and still, pretty much, keeps on ticking. It does the job.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Wish I could use cheap tools, but in past experience they have failed miserably every time when needed most.........especially ANYTHING made in China.

I rely on my 2 Fluke meters every day. They gave yet to fail in 15 years of constant use.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I keep a Harbor Freight multi-meter in my trailer and for home use it will work fine; I also have a Fluke 73 in my home tool box.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If a person is ever going to rely on a multimeter to verify that an ac circuit is dead before working on it, then a reliable one is in order.

I like the inexpensive test lights for this, very little room for error, they light up or they don't.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
My HF freebee is going strong after close to 5 years. It is as accurate as my fluke, and cheap enough that i don't take that good care of it. HF is printing some of those free coupons for the meter lately.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Agree that a inexpensive multimeter is all you need. $20-30 should get you there for most solutions. I recommend digital they are much easier to read and a little more forgiving of rough use. If you want a top of the line unit i recommend Fluke.
Nmengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Brooksville , Florida
I agree with the Fluke. Buy a good basic one, take care of it and it Will last a lifetime. I would not want to risk an expensive rig to an inexpensive meter. Only takes one bad reading to ruin your day.
Norm States is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
If you have no electrical test equipment, I would suggest three items:
- Multimeter
- Non-contact voltage tester
- AC Receptacle Tester

Home Depot sells a kit by Klein with these three:
Klein Tools Electrical Analog Multimeter Test Kit-69149 - The Home Depot

Milwaukee Tools also sold a similar kit but I think it is discontinued (I have one of these). I really like the Milwaukee Tools Auto Voltage/Continuity Tester multimeter as it is very simple to use:
Auto Voltage/Continuity Tester W/ Resistance | Milwaukee Tool

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I pick up the Harbor Freight free meters and keep several in "stock" to give away to people who don't have any meter and would like one. They seem to work OK for casual use.

I am a long time Fluke meter user though, and it is my meter of choice for the rather extensive electrical diagnostics and work I do on solar systems. In fact I have three Flukes, one in each car, and one in the house. But they are not necessary for most people. Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, HF, and even Walmart have decent inexpensive digital meters for occasional use.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Is there any need to test with a multimeter the AC power at a campground before plugging in?
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
Is there any need to test with a multimeter the AC power at a campground before plugging in?
Absolutely, in fact get and use a circuit tester for voltage, polarity and proper grounding. Low voltage is very common at campgrounds and can be an appliance killer.
Something like this,
Amazon.com: Prime Products 12-4058 AC Power Line Monitor: Automotive

There are many different options available.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I had a cheap one from Harbor Freight. The leads literally melted when testing a 24v battery (2 12 v in series). I believe I had the unit set for 12 v. So I got one of these from HD. It was on sale, but here is is from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-MM.../dp/B00EO2HFPI There is a slight delay when connecting the leads (since it auto ranges). It seems very well made and good for novices.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote